Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Getting inspired

A few days ago I purchased this book. Yes, I know....another book! I am truly addicted to books. SWHP has suggested one of those electronic leg cuffs, like Martha had to wear!....and each time I get near a bookstore it will zap me. Personally, I doubt that it would work! I would just endure the pain if I knew a book was waiting for me at the end.

Back to the book I mentioned....I love the way it's done with the author's own printing and writing. I'm always drawn to books done this way. I also liked the title and felt an immediate connection.

I've read the first couple of chapters and done a few of the suggested drawing lessons....and so far, I like it. I used to draw a lot more than I do now. Maybe this will help get me back into it again.

I have stacks and stacks of "doodles" and little drawings but have never felt that I've found my own style. I'm not fooling myself into thinking I'm ever going to be a "real" artist but I would like to be able to create things I like and enjoy doing.

Mostly I love bright colors. I'm drawn to artists who do bright, cheerful paintings much like this artist. Her work always puts a smile on my face. The people in her artwork look like people I'd like to know. I especially like this one....



These ladies remind me of my relatives on my dad's side of the family. They were cattle ranchers in Kansas. One of my great aunts was an unmarried woman (an old maid in those days!) who owned her own ranch, and was written up in one of the cattlemen's journals because she was such a successful rancher. I never got to know her because she died when I was quite young but I heard about her from other family members. She had to have been a strong-willed woman to be that independent in those days....and to be involved in a business dominated by men.

1 comment:

  1. neat geometric doodle. i like danny gregory too. do you read his blog?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!