Tuesday, May 16, 2006

A great vacation destination

When I was a child my parents usually used vacation time to visit my grandparents in Kansas. Until I got a little older, I didn't know that people went to places just to see them! I think I was about 12 years old when we took a "real" vacation.

After spending some time with my grandparents we continued on into Colorado with Colorado Springs as our final destination. I can remember driving through the flat lands of eastern Colorado and seeing The Rockies looming off in the distance.

Having grown up in central Illinois (also very flat) seeing mountains for the first time was quite impressive. I had no concept of mountains and in my mind I thought we would drive until we came to the bottom of the mountain, and then we would drive straight up the side! Silly me!

Back then (waaay back then!) Colorado Springs was a sleepy little town surrounded by spectacular natural scenery. Not today. Oh, the scenery is still there but it's partially hidden by all the growth in the area....and by growth, I mean urban development.

We did all the touristy things back then and I always remembered that Pike's Peak is 14,110 ft above sea level....maybe because it scared the poo out of me when we went to the top. We rented a driver and a car that was specially equipped for the high altitude, and we began to wind our way up the mountain. I did ok until we left the tree line behind. When there were no more trees to block some of the straight down views, I was in trouble. I sat in the floor of the car until we reached the top. My dad almost had to drag me out! Then he proceded to walk over near the edge and lean out to look....that was it! I sat right next to the building and wouldn't move!

Things have changed a little for me and I'm not nearly that bad but I still don't like to be someplace high up and open. When HB and I lived in CO we owned 10 acres near Cripple Creek. Our property was above the town so we figured it was about 10,000 ft! I loved the area but me and the altitude didn't do good together. That's mainly why we sold it.

All this is to let you know about some of the truly beautiful places to visit if you ever get to Colorado Springs. First of all is the mountain. You can find out all about it here, or here. There is also a railway here that will take you up the mountain.

Another place I love to visit is Garden of the Gods. In the same area you might enjoy this amazing place.

If you like waterfalls don't miss these beautiful falls.

Lastly, when we visited many years ago, this was another nail-biter! My parents walked out onto the bridge but I stayed behind. I just do NOT like being up high!!

This is just a sampling of all there is to see and do around The Springs. I highly recommend visiting even if you have a fear of heights like me!

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of photos to show you (you gotta go yourself to see the beauty!) but I do have a few photos from the trip. First up is an old homestead that just looked so neat....don't know if you can see from the photo but there's a tv dish on the roof! New meets old!!



Next, here is a not-so-good taken-from-the-vehicle shot of Pike's Peak. It is much more impressive than this photo! And usually at this time of year there is still snow on top but as you can see....nothing! CO has been experiencing drought conditions.



More mountains....



Again, taken from the vehicle, this is a famous pottery place in The Springs.



And last....this is what we woke to on last Wednesday!



I hope you have enjoyed your tour of Colorado Springs and will one day visit in person.

2 comments:

  1. I've only been to Colorado once, but I loved it. At one point in my early 20s I seriously considered moving there but I didn't know a soul and in the end I chickened out. I liked seeing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HB and I lived there for several years. We didn't know anyone either but soon made friends and learned our way around. I'm not sure I would have gone on my own though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!