Monday, June 12, 2006

A gift for the new baby!

As promised I can now show you what I've really been working on! I will be making some things for my grandson's birthday and graduation but that isn't what I've been busy with....I just couldn't say anything until after the party for the new baby.

I wanted to make something personal and special for the baby....something that shows I took time and effort and put some thought into the gift. So many times people just run to the nearest store, buy some cute little outfit and call it a gift. Those are ok but they don't really say "I care"....at least, that's my way of thinking. The little outfits are cute and sometimes baby even gets to wear them once or twice but then that's it.

I wanted to give something that was more than that. So this is what I came up with. I decided to make a cloth book with the baby's name spelled out, one letter per page. Thank goodness she has a manageable length name!!

Since I've never done anything like this before it was a lot of trial and error, not to mention I'm not much of a seamstress! But in the end it turned out ok.

I started with this....



I bought fat quarters (?) and began brain-storming and trying to come up with easy to do images than relate to the letters of the baby's name. I ended up using felt, doing lots of embroidery, and some machine stitching. I also "cheated" in some areas and used fabric glue!!

The end result....



And here are the pages....



The photos don't show much of the details....the nest is made from felt and lots of little snippets of yarn....the elephant has a fuzzy yarn tail....and the yo-yo has a yarn string.

I had so much fun making this. Don't get me wrong....there were some "bad words" said at a couple of times (hope baby doesn't pick up on those!!) and as I said earlier, a few mistakes that had to be corrected but overall I really enjoyed the process.

5 comments:

  1. You can come and play with me anytime.

    the book is imaginative, and too cool.

    WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Janet! Thanks for dropping by my blog! I love this book--my aunt made one when I had my oldest, and it was AWESOME! Pretty soon, baby #3 will start using it--she included lots of pockets for books and toys, plus a handle, so it is an easy way to bring toys, books, and snacks everywhere we go.

    Also, love the "picture" of you against the night sky in your sidebar! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! So will baby. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's adorable and concidentally a similar project to the one i posted in whiplash as well! mine was "j is for joseph" - great minds think alike, i suppose. nice work - loooove the nest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! It was a fun project to work on.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!