Thursday, June 15, 2006

Thoughts on blogging....

Wow!! Just WOW! That's all I can say after visiting this site. I found the site by my usual wanderings from one person's blog to something they linked to, to something they linked to, etc. I love doing that when I have the time and this morning I did. This site is well worth a visit if you haven't been there before.

Blogs are just the most amazing things. You can wander in and out of people's lives at random, look at what they've created, or just read their thoughts for that day.

When I visit blogs that I've just discovered, and I find them interesting, I usually go back to the beginning and see how they started off. I like to randomly stroll through their entries and that way learn a bit about them.

That's what happened this morning. I came across several very interesting blogs that I had never seen before (I'm sure there are millions!) and one entry on one blog caught my attention because it said just what I feel about blogging -

25 March 2006
beginnings - this time it isn't a test...
what is the protocol for blogs? how many times do i get to ‘begin’ again….? and, is it just me, or did everyone feel that they have invited themselves to a really hip party, came without a hostess gift and are wearing fashions seriously out of date?
since beginning this journey - three whole days ago - i am, by far, my most frequent visitor - i can count on one hand the others…. that is if i don’t include ‘site meter’… i didn’t invite him, i don’t know how he found me and since he hasn’t left any comments it is hard to know his intent…often encouraged to get the things i’ve made out into the world and beyond the occasional local show, i resolved that 2006 to be the year to accomplish just that.


This was from ruby crowned kinglette's March 2006 archives. I wasn't able to link directly to that one entry so decided to copy and paste, as I wanted to share those poignant thoughts with you.

I felt, and still feel, just like that! Like I'm the only one in the "group" who doesn't get it....like everyone else is in the clique and I'm the butt of the joke.

There are so many gifted, creative people out there in blogland that no matter what I create, it never seems to be up to snuff. I will work on something for days, be so happy with what I've done, and then look at some random blog and realize that I've just created crap! It can be very frustrating as well as discouraging....but then it inspires me to try to do better.

So with that in mind, thank you to all the blogs out there, many of which I haven't discovered yet (give me time!) that inspire us all to create something....anything ....to just create!

The other thing mentioned in her blog was how important comments are to bloggers. I so agree. It is most discouraging to put your life out there for the world to see and read, and have visitors drop by from all over the world but they don't take the time to comment. It's like peeking in someone's window to watch what they're doing rather than knock on the door and be invited inside to chat.

My site meter tells me there have been lots of visitors from Canada, England, Ireland, and even Bangkok, Thailand!....not to mention all the different places right here in the US. But most of them have not left a comment. Is it because they didn't like what they saw, or was it because they were in a hurry, or simply because they didn't want to comment? How can a blog grow and expand without the comments, both good and bad, from the readers?

8 comments:

  1. thank you so much for mentioning my blog.... and don't fret... it took me ages before i got the courage to comment. i felt, just like i do about crafting, that the words i say were not as interesting as others... so there you go, the more we do and the more we say, the easier it gets. and i am with you on Carol Shinn - what she does is simply incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, it brought me over to yours and I have spent a happy hour trolling through your posts and your links!
    For sure the blogging world is a fine one and the possibilities are endless.
    art cheer
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your blog, and thanks for leaving a comment on mine (beadlust), which is the way I found yours. Yes, it's odd to post and post with no comments. One reason you didn't mention is that it's difficult to post (several of my friends have told me that, and I've found it to be true as well - often it takes me more than once to get the stupid letter verification right). Many chuckles with your ABCs and love your I-day thoughts. Also, my Dosha came out the same as yours. I'm going to add "words" to my interest list :>) Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Carol Shinn's art is wonderful. I love Sunset! Thanks for posting that link. You do find some interesting sites! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to all of you who commented today. I'm glad I was able to introduce you to some new and interesting blogs.

    robin - yes, I've also experienced some difficulty when trying to post comments on some blogs. When that happens I send them an email (if they provide an address.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this blog entry, very interesting points on the "science" of blogging. wow. I like your perspective. I went through a period where I almost quit blogging b/c I was thrown back by all the "real" artists out there. then I just said, what the heck, and just kept doing what I was doing and it ended up resonating with others. that is the wonderful thing about it. the beauty of art is that it's value, significance is in the eye of the beholder. I started having a "block" when I started trying to gear my art to be "blog worthy". I realized I wasn't that kind of creative. I let go and just started being me. Please share whatever you have. I can't tell you how many times I've LOVED something and it's touched me deeply and the blog entry reads, "I wasn't going to post this, but....". I'm so glad they did! we all can inspire each other in our own way! talk soon! Lia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lia - thank you for your kind comment. It is true, each one of us must create for ourselves and hope that someone else will like it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blogging is such a joyous, exciting, frustrating, exhausting population has exploded, and just keeping up for me is a disaster. (keeping up with my flickr acct can be painful too) Sometimes I just dont have time to leave but I want to see what every one is up to. I am trying to be a better blogger ;) but I know lots of people don't leave comments and that is okay. So, I have enjoyed visiting your blog, see you again soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!