Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Being influenced....

Due to the influence of some blogs I read, I have found myself reading and ... DON'T FAINT ... enjoying some poetry!! In my younger days I dabbled in poetry and even wrote a few things but as I got older it just seemed to fall along the wayside as so many things do.

I think I've mentioned that I used to sell books online so I have a ton of books that aren't all things I would normally have for myself. I occasionally go through them and find something interesting to read rather than make the trip to the library.

Such is the case a couple of days ago. I was drawn to a book "Cries of the Spirit" It contains the work of many women writers and as I flipped through it several poems caught my eye. This is one of them....

Eagle Poem

To pray you open your whole self
To sky, to earth, to sun, to moon
To one whole voice that is you
And know there is more
That you can't see, can't hear
Can't know except in moments
Steadily growing, and in languages
That aren't always sound but other
Circles of motion.
Like eagle that Sunday morning
Over Salt River. Circled in blue sky
In wind, swept our hearts clean
With sacred wings.
We see you, see ourselves and know
That we must take the utmost care
And kindness in all things.
Breathe in, knowing we are made of
All this, and breathe, knowing
We are truly blessed because we
Were born, and die soon, within a
True circle of motion,
Like eagle rounding out the morning
Inside us.
We pray that it will be done
In beauty.
In beauty.

by Joy Harjo

I'll be interested to know what you think of this poem. I find it just amazing that deciding to have a blog has already changed my life so much. It has only been a few months but so many new, wonderful people have come here to visit, and I have gone to other blogs and the whole process has opened my eyes to many things that I just didn't think about before....like poetry. I'm having new experiences almost every day and I believe it is mostly due to having the blog and putting myself "out there" for everyone to see and read.

I find myself always thinking and searching for something new and interesting to write about or some funny tale to share with everyone. I'm sure that many times I'm the only one entertained but that's ok too. Besides meeting all of you out there in blogland, I'm also discovering things about myself.



photo from www.hickerphoto.com

8 comments:

  1. Janet...This is a great poem...and the photo of the eagle is awesome...they are so awesome. You should join poetry thursday...it's fun...and no pressure...have a good tuesday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely poem. I have just been blogging for a few months, and you are right, I feel full of inspiration, love writing my blog and am meeting lovely people who are widening my interests. Pop over and visit my blog sometime. Love xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you too Janet. I have only been blogging a few months too,,and it does inspire you alot. And the best part is making such wonderful new friends and learning about different parts of our country and of other countrys. I Love the Poem too! I use to write poems when I was young,,and have a gazzilion books of poetry, which I still read alot!
    Share as many poems as you would like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Linda4:18 AM

    I can relate to what you're saying about the influence blogs has on one's life.

    I've been a 'Blurker' for a while(is that a word? LOL) meaning I've really only just been lurking and reading other people's blogs, but I absolutely love it! The places it leads you to, the information, the inspiration, the fun, the wonderful stories, the just everything! I love it a lot.

    I'm glad a link brought me to your blog - you are fun and a joy. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet hello from Australia, I too have only been a blogger for a few short months and I already have because of others found friendships and taken from my cupboard embroidery projects I started several years ago and just never got back to them now I find I want to do it again - the hidden crafter inside me has escaped again!

    It is a lovely poem and it made me think you fly through life and must keep your mind and eyes open or somethings we will sadly missed!

    Best wishes Lee-ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - thanks to everyone who visited today, and for the comments. I guess I'm not the only one growing and changing through blogging. I will visit each of your blogs.

    deb - I hope you know you are part of my influence!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading poetry aloud. We read some every night right before dinner, in lieu of a blessing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!