Friday, July 28, 2006

I'm leaving my calling card....

I've been thinking about blogging. I'm still fascinated by the whole concept. In some ways we are becoming more and more isolated in our homes....we watch movies at home rather than go to a theater, many people work from home rather than going to the office, we buy items online rather than going shopping at the mall....

Families are, many times, spread all over the country. We just seem to live in our own little space with one huge exception. The internet.

I can sit here in my home, stark naked if I want to (rest assured, I'm not!) and communicate with anyone, anywhere in the world as long as they have a computer, too.

Each day I visit several blogs. It's a bit like in the old days when women used to go calling on a certain day of the week. They would leave their calling card. I did a bit of searching and came up with this site that gives a little information on the custom.

When bloggers leave a comment its their way of leaving a calling card. We're all hoping we will get a return visit and maybe make a new friend.

Being fairly new to blogging I've been confused about some of the etiquette. And don't run screaming....I'm not really that much of an etiquette person but I do like to know how others do things. So when DebR did a post about how she would handle replies right there where everyone else comments, I thought that was a good idea. She thought that most people wouldn't mind taking a peek back at the previous post to see her replies.

So most of the time if anyone leaves me a comment, I try to go back to that post later in the day and reply right there. I do have the comments sent to my email but so many times people have theirs set to "no reply" so it doesn't make any difference....I couldn't reply to them anyway!

The other grey area is, some people don't mind getting emails from other bloggers but there are some people who don't want to be bothered. Personally, I don't mind....as long as it really is a blogger and not some spam or something like that. I usually don't email too often because I don't want to be a pest!! But if you want to email me it's perfectly ok with me....and I will respond.

Since this is all such a new form of communication between people, the "rules" (I hate that term!) are still pretty sketchy. So if I make mistakes along the way just chalk it up to inexperience! I will continue to make my replies right on the comments section of my blog but if you would prefer an email just let me know. I'm happy to do either.

And now I'm off to leave my calling card....

9 comments:

  1. Janet, this was very interesting and made me thing how I respond to any comments. I try my best to reply, but sometimes I just quickly read, and then something else comes up. I have a short attention span, so I am probably the worst in returning any comments.

    I love your blog, and you write in a catching way. I don't always leave my calling card, because most of the time I check your blog at work, and it's not always possible to do personal stuff, like I am doing now, and just heard the voice of my boss. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool Janet,,calling cards,,I love the idea! And I love the card you made. I always love to "call" on you every day,,or sometimes more than once a day, just in case you post more interesting thoughts or pics. I can't believe how addicting blogging has become for me,,but it makes my day to read about my friends adventures and see whats going on in their lifes,,see their pics and stories, poems, etc,,that they might have on their blogs.
    Blogging helps me to travel and visit without leaving my computer chair,,lol.
    Have a great day Sweet Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet,
    Loved this post. I try to e-mail my responses most of the time, as I tend to get a bit long winded in the comment section otherwise! Of course, I sometimes post responses to comments in my next post... All depends!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good points! I have to admit that I'm one of the ones that read but rarely comment. I need to work on that.

    The calling card is such a good idea! I think you may have started a new blogging trend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good posting Janet. I often wonder about the way to do things. I usually reply to comments if there are questions or if its the person's first comment, I usually visit my friends blogs once a day anyway, and most times leave a comment on them. Sometimes just more or less a hello. I don't email too much in case people think I am pushy. Love the calling card idea. Love xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. pirk - Thanks for your comments. I hope you didn't get in trouble with your boss! ;-)

    beth - I agree; I'm addicted to blogging, too. And you're right about visiting and traveling from your chair. No packing & unpacking!

    sue - I think it just depends on each person and how they want to handle responses. Whatever works!

    kathy - I'm not really going to leave a calling card (don't know how I would do that) but just the concept is great.

    daisy - I do the same thing. And I don't want to be pushy either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, Janet, I didn't get into trouble. She was yapping with her assistant. We had an easy day at work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, that's really interesting... i don't think i fully understand how the calling cards worked, but i remember seeing them (in antique shops). so people would just mail these small cards? or hand deliver them? they only had a name on them?

    i gotta get some of those.

    i was thinking alot about the comments problem. i wrote a bit about it on this website:
    http://whipup.net/2006/07/31/whiptips-starting-a-craft-blog/

    i wasn't sure if i was doing it right... it seems the best thing to do is responding in the page itself.

    actually i was just returning to your blog to check on a comment i left a few weeks ago! so that is one of the reason i came back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. heather - I looked back through the month of July and couldn't find any comment left by you so I hope I answered your question.

    I guess the calling card photo was confusing! I just wanted to show an example of an old-time calling card...I wasn't implying that I was actually going to use something like that when I commented. I think the ladies used to have their name and maybe their address printed on the cards.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!