Tuesday, July 25, 2006

No more nectarines....

Do you remember me telling about the nectarine tree in the backyard? How it always had soooo many nectarines on it every year but they really aren't good to eat.... Well, I don't think I'll have to worry about them any longer!

Late yesterday afternoon I was sitting in the family room gazing out the corner windows as I often do because its so green and peaceful outside. But something didn't look quite right. There was more green than usual in my view.

I walked over to the window and saw a terrible sight. One huge branch of the nectarine tree had cracked and the limb was just holding on by a little bit! It had to have happened just moments before because HB had just been in the back yard doing some yard work. Neither of us heard any noise to indicate it snapped but it sure did!

Hb waited for the sun to go down a little and then he went out to begin the process of chopping the branch into manageable pieces. By the time I got the camera out it was already getting almost too dark to take a photo but I got a few.

This shows the broken limb and HB working away at getting it cut down.



From another angle....



It was almost too dark to photograph here but I managed to get one more....



After looking at the situation, HB thinks we may have to get the tree removed completely. I'll hate to see it go because it provides shade and a certain amount of privacy but I guess safety is the first concern.

The swing set was here when we bought the house and we just left it. We have family who visit with small children and it gives them something to do, but just recently we have decided that we will probably take it down. Thankfully the branch didn't do that job for us! We will probably sell this house in the near future and so the process of sprucing up will soon begin.

I guess the tree decided to give us a jump start in that direction! Now we're forced to get busy!! At least in the backyard.

9 comments:

  1. I wonder if the heat and it being so dry did it in? One of my favorite cedar trees by the road is now dead thanks to the heat last week and Hubby and I not noticing it was dying. I hate it when trees or shrubs and flowers die,,it makes me sad inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tree across the street from us has had branches breaking off due to the heat.
    We just recently took our swing set down. The grandkids have all out grown it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, your poor nectarine tree! I love nectarines:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's kinda sad to lose a tree...sounds silly...but the same thing happened to our peach tree...they are pretty strong...maybe it will be okay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it necessary to cut the whole tree?
    I am thinking that the swing set might be a good selling item, if you planning to sell the house. I would check with a realtor, before you remove it.

    A family with small kids would love to have a swing readily waiting.

    just my 2 cents worth

    ReplyDelete
  6. that was what I was going to say Beth, do you think it is the heat? That is really ashame ... You can't save it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. beth - I'm sure the heat is a factor. And I hate to see trees die, too.

    sue - sme thing here...I think everyone has outfrown the swing set.

    the lone beader - thanks! I love nectarines, too but these didn't taste too good.

    vicci - It may survive but it sure is lop-sided now.

    pirk - the swing set is pretty old and I'm not sure it's all that safe anymore. That's the reason we thought to get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Guess I should spell-check my own replies before I post them!!

    sue - that's supposed to say "same thing here. I think everyone has outgrown the swing set" No frowns allowed!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Janet!

    Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my blog! I really enjoyed reading yours too, it's so fascinating to read everyday stuff from the other side of the world. I'm sorry about your nectarine tree (I don't think I have ever seen a nectarine tree, by the way. Funny.), but I'm sure you will find a good replacement for it if you need to remove it.

    Last year my dad planted three new trees in our common garden, one for each of his new toddler granddaughters. Apples for Idun, Plums for Elsa and pears for our little Runa. They all seem to be bearing fruit already this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!