Saturday, July 29, 2006

Today I'm graduating!!!

We're going to traipse down memory lane again!! If you're new here you may not know that I have kept some things for way too long and am trying to rid myself of this bad habit.

Today I'll share with you my high school graduation. I went to a very small school in the Midwest. I think there were about 65 in my graduating class. There were five of us who started first grade together and ended up graduating from high school together. By contrast, HB tells me he had about 340 in his class!

I was not part of the "in" crowd. I wasn't pretty enough, my family wasn't "connected" and I wasn't in any after-school clubs or groups. My dad felt that school was for the three R's (readin' - writin' and arithmetic) and anything else was unnecessary. That meant no band, no sports (I wasn't athletic anyway), no extracurricular activities. So that pretty much made it a done deal that I wasn't going to be one of the popular kids. Plus I was very shy! Believe it or not, I could identify most people by their shoes because I walked around with my head down most of the time!

My grandma in Kansas sent me graduation money and I bought a white dress to wear for graduation. She also sent me a multi-stranded pearl necklace, and my mom got me a rose corsage to wear. My dad was barely part of the family by this time but he actually attended my graduation!

Here I am all dressed up and ready to go....



My dad worked in construction and did painting on the side....so naturally our house always needed paint!! Isn't that always the way? But there I am in all my finery!!

I bet you think I saved the dress and you would be right! But I bet you didn't think I also saved the necklace and the corsage!!! You would be wrong! Here they are today....



And here is a close-up to show you how small the dress is! When Molly was in middle school she tried this dress on and it wouldn't zip on her!! She is tiny! I think she wears a size 2 or 4 right now! If you aren't able to read the tape measure, it measures 11" across making the waist 22"!!



I still have that 22" waist today....I just keep it protected with a few more layers of me!! It's in there somewhere!

8 comments:

  1. I think we all have a 22" waist hiding in there somewhere! For many of us, it's quite well hidden.
    You are truly the saver! I do have the pearls that I got for my high school graduation and boxes of "stuff"
    but not the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty graduate you were! And that same sweet smile again. Yes,,I have the 22 waist,,but I hide it too under several layers of me. How do you keep your clothes so preserved,,do use those vacuum sealed bags? I think its so neat that you have those wonderful items of your past!
    Are you cooling off any there yet?
    Have a wonderful week-end Sweet Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great picture! I understand about the saving. I still have my size 4 US Air Force uniform. I joined at 18 weighing about 90 pounds (had to get a waiver for being underweight). That's not a problem anymore - sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy crap, you were TINY! Cool pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. molly2:02 PM

    Such a cute picture mom! I remember trying to fit in that dress too! I wish I could. It's adorable.. reminds me of the vintage wedding dress I wore..and no, I certainly didn't save that little piece of history.haha. ~Mol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You have so many clothes from your past. How have you managed to keep so many? It is such a pretty dress. Love xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How absolutely wonderful! Good for you!! You should somehow make that into a collage and frame it in a shadow box. Don't know how, but you must keep it!! How tiny you were!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to everyone!! I don't do anything special to keep the clothes. Only recently I put them in one of those zippered bags but mostly they have just been in boxes.

    Rosa - thanks for stopping by my blog. I returned the visit, tried to leave a comment but blogger was being weird! I'll stop by again. And the collage idea has been floating around in my head for awhile. Just have to figure out how to do it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!