Followers

Monday, August 07, 2006

Monday Books

I may have mentioned that I own a lot of books. I have loved books for as long as I can remember and have bought hundreds of books over the course of my life. I will pass up buying food if it means I can buy a book! The best gift for me is always books.

Most of the books I own now are non-fiction, and many of those are creative type books. I love to read and do so each and every day. I get most of those books....novels....at the library but when it comes to creative books I want to own them so I can look at them anytime I feel like it.

I have books about all kinds of crafts, many of them on things I've never tried and probably never will....but I appreciate the act of creating and love reading about it and seeing what other people do. I guess it might be a little like music appreciation....that's how I look at creating and creativity....I appreciate it in others.

So I have decided to show you some of my books once in awhile.

The first one I chose is a book I bought maybe 12 years ago at a thrift shop. I don't always have to buy brand new books. As long as the book is not marked in, ripped or torn, or otherwise messed up then I don't mind a used book.

The name of this book is CREATIVE CROCHET Step-By-Step Demonstrations That Take You From Basic Stitches to Creative Techniques. The authors are Nicki Hitz Edson and Arlene Stimmel. The copyright is 1973 and it was published by Watson-Guptill.




I like this book because it is not your basic afghan-granny square-potholder type of crochet! It does have a section in the front that covers all the basics of crochet but then it goes into how to take those basic stitches and turn them into something entirely different and creative and all your own. In other words, it tells you how to create without a pattern. The authors encourage you to experiment with the stitches and put different ones together to form just about anything you can think of.

It might even be like the early stages of freeform crochet. The following photo shows some interesting vests from the book. L to R: Backless Choli by Arlene Stimmel; Blue Landscape by Arlene Stimmel; and Clam Vest by Dina Schwartz.



These are not my style to wear but I think they're very interesting from a creative standpoint. And the next photo is even more so!

This is Medieval Blouse by Sharron Hedges with a couple of close-ups to show the detail.



I love all the colors and textures of this blouse. Once again, not something I would wear but I like the look of it.

The book covers other forms of crochet and not just clothes. I especially like this next one that shows sculpture crochet. The first one is Swan by Cindy Picchi and the other one is Bird Dragon by Pat Mueller. I like the swan best but that may be because the Bird Dragon is hard to interpret in black and white. I wish these photos were in color, too.



The last photo I'll share with you is called Great Coat by Frank Lincoln Viner. This must have taken quite awhile to make! Once again I wish it was shown in color.



This book has lots more interesting and creative photos of crocheted items....everything from hats to boots! I'm always inspired after browsing through this book.

I love to crochet and I'm happy to see so many young people picking up on it. There are several sites with very hip, up-to-date patterns for young people. One of them is here and this is another one.

With all the crochet books I have, I could probably crochet for the next ten years and never have to buy a pattern! Happy hooking!!!

And just so you know I have been crocheting, here are some tiny caps I made the other night. These are going to the Caps to the Capital project that I wrote about here.



These are so quick to make....they only measure about 10" in circumference!! They aren't very creative but I'm doing them for a good cause.

10 comments:

  1. The Linda6:01 AM

    I love your idea to share your books!! Hope it's more than just once in awhile.
    We are kindred spirits in that it could have been me speaking the words you did about appreciating the creative process in others and having all kinds of craft books on things you probably won't ever make. Me too!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. linda - glad to see you back! I wondered if you had given up on me!!
    I don't know what I would do without books. I think of them as my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought of you when we went to an estate sale recently. (actually all the blogging knitters and crocheters)
    There were about 8 huge boxes of yarn for 25¢ a skein. (all brand new!)
    Please keep sharing your books, I enjoy this type of post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those little hats. What will you do with them? Isn't it funny, the fashion has come around to bite us in the butt. In 1973, I was wearing cropped tops showing off my belly botton (Lord forbid now!) and now that's the fasion again. I love those patterns. I crochet (and not knit) and I had no idea you could do so much with crocheting! Wow. I may have to find me a creative book like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet you and me definitely have this in common, I too, would give up on a meal or some food to buy a book. I have bookcases all over my house, baskets full of books, cartons under the bed full of books. When my daughter was younger at school, about thirteen, they were asked how many books there were in their home, the largest amount was 1,000 and she wrote that down and got into trouble, for not telling the truth, but she was, the four of us have books everywhere. I don't need to buy them new, I love to find bargains in remainder shops or charity shops. Love xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Janet,,I love that book,,I also love non-fiction books. I do like a good novel every now and then,,but give a me a creative, artsy type of book any day. I also have bought alot at thrift stores.
    At the High School that I work at, we have a knitting club called the knit wits,,lol. There are alot of teens in it,,even football players. Last fall they made alot of hats and scarfs for the Katrina victims. But what they did was auction them off at a nice restaurant,,and made almost $5000 dollars,,it was really cool to walk around the school and see all the kids just knitting away during their lunch and free time. This year they will pick another charity to knit for.
    Hope your having a good monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same way about books, as long as they're beading books! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have many books similar to this one, but I don't have this one.
    I have given up on buying books, I have so many of them, and no time to go even look at them.

    It was good to read about your books, gave me something new to think about my books.
    If that makes any sense. It's too early in the morning to think clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet,
    this is a great idear I cannot think what it would be like not to have books in your life.

    My husbands brother in law does not like to come to our home because he feels he cannot relax as there are so many books around lol lol lol how funny is that.

    I love the idear you are sharing your craft books with us and I too will now think of you everytime I sell another fantastic craft book at our op-shop I think we sold some 50 books today.....there are so many of them.

    So Janet if you are ever after a particular book let me know I will watch for it here.

    the little hats are lovely too.

    best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - thanks to every one who commented today. I wasn't sure if this would be anything of interest to others or just something I like. I guess I'm not alone!! I will continue to share my books at time to time.

    Just a little side note - I went to Amazon to see if this book was still available in case anyone wanted it....there was one copy and they wanted almost $70 for it!! Guess I'll wrap this one in cotton batting and put it carefully away!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!