Friday, August 18, 2006

Some of my favorite things

My cousin sent this recently and I just had to share it. Maybe you've seen it already but I thought it was so funny....even though it isn't true! I checked with Snopes and this is one of those urban legend things. But it's still funny!!!

********************************************

To commemorate her 69th birthday on October 1, actress/vocalist Julie
Andrews made a special appearance at Manhattan's Radio City Music Hall for
the benefit of the AARP. One of the musical numbers she performed was "My Favorite Things" from the legendary movie "Sound Of Music." However, the lyrics of the song were changed for the entertainment of her audience. Here are the lyrics she recited:


"Maalox and nose drops and needles for knitting, Walkers and handrails
and new dental fittings, Bundles of magazines tied up in string, These are a
few of my favorite things.


Cadillacs, cataracts , hearing aids and glasses, Polident and Fixodent
and false teeth in glasses, Pacemakers, golf carts and porches with swings,
These are a few of my favorite things.


When the pipes leak, When the bones creak, When the knees go bad, I simply
remember my favorite things, And then I don't feeeeeeeel, so bad.


Hot tea and crumpets, and corn pads for bunions, No spicy hot food or
food cooked with onions, Bathrobes and heat pads and hot meals they bring,
these are a few of my favorite things.


Back pains, confused brains, and no fear of sinnin', Thin bones and
fractures and hair that is thinnin', And we won't mention our short shrunken
frames, When we remember our favorite things.


When the joints ache, when the hips break, When the eyes grow dim, Then,
I remember the great life I've had, And then I don't feel so bad."


Ms. Andrews received a standing ovation from the crowd that lasted over four minutes and repeated encores.

**********************************************

I had a good chuckle over this one....and can sure relate to some of those things. I guess I'm not completely over the hill if they don't all apply yet!

And 'cause I don't have a photo for today here is one of my doodles....

13 comments:

  1. I thought that the lyrics were funny and I chuckled, and then
    I saw the doodling.

    WOW I can't stop staring it, it is wonderfully exciting.
    Do you mind if I print it, so I can
    pin it on the wall?

    Guess who is taking the sketch pad to work today?

    WOW!!!! I love your doodling, and I love your dancers and all those ladies with flowing lines. Your flowers are amazing, too. I could go on, but I think you got the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to ask, is it pencil, watercolor, or ink, or something else that you used?

    Did I tell you it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL LOL LOL!!!! I loved those revised lyrics to My Favorite Things! Do you think it would be okay if I copied that text off your blog and put it on one of my blogs? As you said, it is so relative to those of us who are in the Baby Boomers era or thereabouts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. pirk - I did it in ink, and yes, you can print it out to pin on your wall! I'm flattered!!

    gina - feel free the put the lyrics on your blog. I think it is something making the rounds....I didn't write it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that doodle! Fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. fabulous doodle!!! Isn't it amazing what results from simply sitting down and letting the pen move about?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Linda7:59 AM

    you are an excellent doodler!...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janet,
    Please continue to share your doodles anytime. They are wonderful :-)
    I think the Julie Andrews thing must be making the rounds because I got it in e-mail too!
    (gotta love the urban legends site)
    It IS funny though!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Janet...this is GREAT!!!! It made my day! (I'm easily amused)...I'm with you...at least all of these don't apply yet! The doodle is great! I do the same thing with the notepad by the phone!!!! have a great weekend girl! Wish you were here to go to the thrift and book store with me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a doodle? You should see mine!!! Usually a thick arrow is all. ha. Love the saying--sad but true, eh!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth: Thank you for that. How wonderful. I sang every note as I read it. And girlfriend that is not a doodle, that is wonderful and beautiful art for arts sake. Great days posting

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hadn't heard that before! thanks - funny - I am going to sing it to my mum.
    Love your doodling - and thanks so much for visiting my blog - love it when new people drop by -always room for another friend xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was funny! And I could actually hum along in my head as I read.
    Love your doodle!

    tea...doodling off now to get ready for wedding.......
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!