Saturday, September 16, 2006

A Hair-Raising Experience

Recently several bloggers have posted photos of their "big hair"....I'm not sure why we want to torture ourselves this way but what the heck! I had some big hair in my day!

I graduated from high school in 1961 just in time for the beehive and French twist. When I turned 18 I had my hair bleached ash blonde and had it put up in a French twist with the little "s" curls on either side. I thought I was hot stuff!

Let it fly in the breeze
And get caught in the trees
Give a home to the fleas in my hair
A home for fleas
A hive for bees
A nest for birds
There ain't no words
For the beauty, the splendor, the wonder
Of my...


My first husband met me after I had blonde hair and he never saw me any other way. I used to sleep with toilet paper wound 'round my head so as not to disturb my carefully teased and hair sprayed coiffure! What on earth was I thinking??? Here is a photo of us at my grandma's house....I'm the one with the hair piled up to the sky!! The photo has December 25, 1966 written on the back which means I was about 23 years old.



I want it long, straight, curly, fuzzy
Snaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty
Oily, greasy, fleecy
Shining, gleaming, streaming
Flaxen, waxen
Knotted, polka-dotted
Twisted, beaded, braided
Powdered, flowered, and confettied
Bangled, tangled, spangled, and spaghettied!


This photo is a little difficult to see but it's me at Christmas time 1979 just after I moved to California with my kids. I'm in a flannel granny gown that my mom made for me. And get a load of the hair!!



Long ago I had graduated from the pin curls my mom used on my hair and I put my hair up on tiny foam rollers. It would take me a loooong time....so long that I would have to rest in between because my arms would get tired. But I did it because my hair had to be curly!

I think all those pin curls and rollers must have damaged my brain!

9 comments:

  1. Love the photos! I remember pincurls, foam rollers, big brush rollers, & orange juice cans!
    What we went through!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post...You kinda looked like Marge Simpson...lol
    I Know what you mean about some of the different styles from back in the day. When I was little my mom curled my hair on rags...actually strips of cotton we rolled wet hair around...it was soft enough to sleep on then the next morning
    BOING....ringlets.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, you had you some BIG hair!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a pic of myself with big hair. 16 year old lil country gal that I was. Maybe I'll go post it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gawd, that is BIG hair!
    I think anyone who posts pictures from way back when is very brave!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL,,,you are just so delightful!! I just love the subjects that you blog about,,they just make me smile and laugh,,Thanks Sweet Janet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To everyone who commented - I guess I'm either brave or a bit nutty but either way I'm happy that we all had a good chuckle with this one! Thank goodness I don't go through all that hair craziness anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh My Lord!!! These are great Janet!!!! I love that do.....hair-do that is!!!! Oh...wonderful memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how funny! My hair is curly so I can only do so much with it. I do have some quite "winged" and "layered" looks in my days! ha. Not even hair spray keeps it from curling so I never bothered to do much with it--just a fight always lost! I like the beehive the best! I can only imagine the time it took!!! hehe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!