Tuesday, September 26, 2006

I've Been Book tagged!!

This is a popular meme, or whatever it's called, that is making the rounds. I did it once a few weeks ago and then I got tagged by both Beth and Maryellen to do it again. So I'm combining both of them in this one post.

The Rules are:
1. Grab the book nearest to you...no cheating!
2. Open to page 123
3. Scroll down to the fifth sentence.
4. Post text of next 3 sentences on to your blog....name the book and the author.

Ok, here we go with book #1: "You like misery, I think, Mr. Dishart," McQueen said, when Gavin came to him, "at least I am always finding you in the thick of it, and that is why I am here now. I have a rare job for you if you will jump into the machine. You know Nanny Webster, who lives on the edge of Windyghoul?"

The last time I did this, I didn't have an interesting book nearby. This time I reached over and picked up a very old book...."The Little Minister" by J.M. Barrie. Inside it says copyright 1898!!

Here is what the front cover looks like....not in very good condition!



This woman's picture is across from the title page....



And this is the title page....



I had this book next to my desk for research purposes. I have not read it. I mentioned that I sold books online and now I'm getting rid of my inventory. As I'm doing so, I'm researching books to make sure I don't get rid of a book worth hundreds or thousands of dollars!! This one was not! Mostly due to its condition and the fact that just because a book is old doesn't make it rare or collectible.

The second book I picked up was "Steps and Stairways" by Cleo Baldon and Ib Melchior. This is a coffee table book filled with beautiful photos of steps and stairways around the world....some new, some old, some ancient. On page 123 there are photos so from page 124 is this:
"Underwater steps in modern swimming pools require highly resistent materials and sturdy construction, and their risers may be higher than the standard riser since buoyancy increases as a person descends into the water. Steps down to water along rivers and canals range from humble bamboo ladders of the families on the klong waterways of Bangkok, to the many splendid steps to the waters in Venice, where every palace and hotel, every street and plaza, has steps and stairs that give people access to the gondolas and motor launches that ply the canals. In cities that are closely identified with a river - from Paris and the Seine, London and the Thames, Vienna and the Danube, to Cairo and the Nile, Nanking and the Yangtzem Varansi and the Ganges, and Saint Louis, Memphis, New Orleans and the Mississippi - the steps and stairways that provide access to the water are as important as the bridges that cross it and the quays that line it."

Loooong sentences in that book!! And the book is so big I couldn't fit it on the scanner to get a photo of it. I did, however, find a photo of the book online and copied it.



I love big coffee table books like this. I have saved several from my inventory, that are especially beautiful. If anyone is interested, I might write about some of them and show some pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Love books. Your old one is so beautiful. Love the spiral staircase pic.I left a longer comment a minute ago and it didn't show up so if you get 2 comments from me thats why. Anyway MMM MMM MMM
    LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back in the late 1800's it was unheard of for a woman to let her hair fly in the breeze, let alone for a portrait shot, so this picture of the author is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!