Saturday, September 09, 2006

Life on Saturday Morning

The leak is fixed....it turned out to be a construction defect and could have been completely avoided had the job been done correctly in the beginning! That kind of stuff really makes me mad. I wish I could bring the person who did it over here and show them how much chaos they caused by not doing their job right.

Now the long process of regaining control of the house begins! This has all come at a most inconvenient time but I guess, when would be a convenient time for a leak!! What it has done is disrupt our lives and our plans but it has also put us on the road to early retirement a bit earlier than we had planned.

HB and I were planning to sell the house but just not right now. But since everything is going to be disrupted we thought we might as well begin putting things back together with the thought of putting the house on the market. So the office will most likely not be returning to its former life. It is a room off the family room that I believe was originally planned as a bedroom since there is a closet space. There are no doors on the closet area and we have put shelves there and used it for books, etc. The room has double doors which we usually left open so the space was convenient for us, and had an open feel.

We're thinking of setting the room up with a single bed (with lots of pillows for lounging) and maybe one of the computers on a small desk. Make it a versatile room. HB and I have both been learning about staging houses for resale. In fact we thought about doing that as a business at one time.

I think there will be a lot of painting, carpeting, sprucing up, and just generally a lot of work for us over the next few weeks but we are now set on a path to finish with this house and move on to something else.

Currently we are looking in the TN/KY area. That could change at any moment though because HB loves to search the internet for real estate!

Right now I'm working from the dining room so please excuse me for a couple of days if I don't have any photos for you. I don't have my camera hooked up yet (not even sure where it is!!) but I will be back to "normal" before too much longer. Thanks to everyone who kept checking in (I can see by your comments) and we do appreciate all the thoughts and encouragement you gave us. I'm slowly trying to catch up on my blogging visits but forgive me if I don't visit as often as in the past....at least for the next few days.

7 comments:

  1. Well, at least the leak is now fixed and things can begin to get back to normal. I think that staging houses for resale could be interesting work. Our neighbors paid quite dearly to have someone do that for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it interesting how one thing can trigger another? I am so glad the leak was fixed...and now it seems it has set you on a new path. (do you watch "Designed to Sell" on HGTV?) I think it's always so amazing(in a very good way) to me how people can do what you are planning, up and relocate to a whole other state. I admire that a lot because I wonder all the time, will we stay here?. I hope in between it all you have to do we can get updates from you and just know you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janet Girl!!! I missed you...but so glad that plumbing fiasco wasn't worse! Don't you just hate incompetence???? Take it easy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear the leak is sorted out, it sounds as though it's set you off in a whole new direction, how exciting to be looking for a new place to live. What kind of home are you looking for - or will it be one of those 'I'll know it when I see it' things? It will be interesting to set up the house you are in differently - more inspiring than just cleaning up the mess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad things are getting better, even if it's a slow process.

    And I selfishly hope you keep right on looking in the KY/TN area. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep hoping Tennessee will be your destination!! It makes me mad when stuff like that happens and they didn't have to just because someone didn't do what they were suppose to do.
    Sounds like you and HB have a plan! So happy its all coming together for you.
    Have a great sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that leak is fixed for you!
    How interesting that you may move to a totally different state! An adventure.
    Those mountains are pretty too.
    Hope you can get a little chance for relaxation before you start your fixing ups :)

    tea
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!