Followers

Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11, 2001....It Changed My World



Recently there has been so much attention on this anniversary both in the media and here in blogland that I thought I would make a few comments, too. I don't want to be thought of as unpatriotic or anything like that....but I also don't want to dwell on bad things too much.

On that fateful day HB and I were living in Vallejo, CA. We were still in our RV as we had just found the house that we're now living in. HB was getting ready for work and had the TV on and I was peacefully snoozing away. He woke me up saying "You have to see this!" I was groggy and a little miffed that he had woke me up so unceremoniously, but I stumbled out to the TV and was immediately wide awake. I could not believe what I was seeing. My mind kept trying to take it in but just couldn't seem to grasp the fact that it wasn't an accident.

We stood there in the middle of the room and watched as they showed the planes hitting the buildings over and over again until finally I couldn't look anymore. In my heart I knew that we were living in a different world than we had been in just a few hours before.

HB went to work and I was left alone to watch the horror unfold. I watched for awhile and then turned it off but then I would worry that maybe something else had happened so I turned the TV back on and watched again....and this cycle continued for the rest of the day. By that evening I felt as if I had been through hell and back....just physically, mentally and emotionally drained.

We signed the papers for our house a few days later and I can truthfully say we were wondering what the hell we were doing! I'm sure our signatures were very shaky on those dotted lines! We had no idea what was going to happen in the next few seconds let alone the next 15 or 20 years! It was a scary time for us.

I will never forget 9/11 and the horror of that day. Luckily I knew no one who was directly involved in the tragedy but I think we are all involved in the aftermath.

The photo above is how I would like to remember the skyline of NYC....I've never been there but I have seen that skyline so many times in photos and movies and TV that I feel as if I have. I want to remember the towers filled with vibrant, happy people....alive and going about their everyday lives.

I am no longer as trusting as I once was. I realize there are people in the world who hate me simply for the country where I was born. I am always upset by fanaticism of any kind or extremism. And they seem to be very prevalent in the world today....both here and in other countries. My world is changed. I am changed.

This photo was from www.valdezlink.com and I hope they don't mind that I used it.

6 comments:

  1. I, too, was remembering 9/11 this morning, I remember I was hanging washing outside and my daughter, who happened to be on holiday, called me in to see the TV pictures. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and watched as the second plane hit, it was like watching a disaster movie rather than real life. My friend's DH flies regularly out of Logan and I had no idea whether he might be on one of the flights and couldn't get through to her either by phone or e-mail. Happily he wasn't involved but the sheer horror of the images will always stay with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sending much love to you across the sea on this day. I think it has made us all a little less innocent. I have travelled overseas a few times ~ and it has changed because of what happened on Sept. 11. We will never ever forget what happened ~ I just wish we could turn back time ~ for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet, We the whole world are touched and were touched by this very day.

    Our sister phoned us in the middle of the night to tell us and we got out of bed and just sat there and sat there watching and not believing the horror that was unfolding infront of our eyes.

    The world changed that very day and I can tell you we too will never forget "Never".

    I have no true way of expressing what happened or what it did to the world that day other then taking a moment on this sad 5th anniversary to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right. Our world was forever changed.
    Thanks for sharing your memories of that day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Imagine . . . in John's words:

    Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today...

    Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace...

    You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

    Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world...

    You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will live as one

    ReplyDelete
  6. You may or may not have picked up that I do not have television. This was one time I was really glad I did not have it. I did not have to see! I got to go on the internet and pick and choose what I found out, and I did it very slowly over time. I am so glad I was not blindsided by the events of that morning. I cannot even imagine. I quit TV after the big earthquake in SF. I couldn't go to work for 4 days because I could not stop watching. I'm afraid if I'd seen 9/11 live I probably would have not survived myself. I think we are all changed by it on some level for sure. Our dilusions of being invincible were challenged for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!