Friday, September 15, 2006

What Can I get You, Hon??

I'm being so lazy with my blog this week. My brain just doesn't seem to be working. I think I'm in shock over the cooler temperatures we're having!! Just kidding. But whatever it is, I just can't seem to come up with any good ideas for subjects to write about.

So when that happens I always turn to....what else....another meme!! I've seen this one on Deb's and also on Laume's blogs and they both said to feel free to use it.

Gather 'Round the Table or You Are What you Eat or (in my case I'm calling it) What Can I Get You, Hon?




How do you like your eggs? I don't eat eggs very often but I like scrambled if they're the real thing and not those damn fake powdered/reconstituted things you get in restaurants these days. If I know they use fake eggs then I will choose over easy. Deviled eggs are also one of my favorites.

How do you take your coffee/tea? I drink two cups of decaf in the morning with a little sugar and lots of vanilla half and half (not Coffeemate!) If I drink tea, iced in summer or hot in cooler weather, I just use sugar. But if I use Good Earth's spiced tea then it doesn't need anything.

Favorite breakfast foods? I usually eat oatmeal (the kind you have to actually cook on the stove) with a smashed banana, a little brown sugar and vanilla Silk. If I'm feeling really adventurous I'll add some pecans or walnuts and maybe a few raisins.

Peanut butter - smooth or crunchy? Smooth. I buy my peanut butter at Trader Joe's and it's organic with nothing added. I will eat it right out of the jar with a spoon and nothing else!! I love peanut butter.

What kind of dressing on your salad? Olive oil, lemon juice and garlic.

Coke or Pepsi? I think I used to keep Pepsi in business! But I no longer drink either of them....they have that dreaded high fructose corn syrup.

You're feeling lazy. What do you make? I'm assuming this is just for me. In that case a microwaved potato with some real butter and a little dab of sour cream and lots of chopped broccoli on top.

You're feeling really lazy. What kind of pizza do you order? I'm making that same assumption again so it would be vegetarian. But I seldom eat pizza. Just way too much salt for me.

You feel like cooking. What do you make? I really can't imagine that ever happening!! As I've told you numerous times, I hate to cook. If I'm trying to be nice to HB it would be spaghetti and meatballs....his favorite.

Do any foods bring back good memories? Of course! My mom's pork roast; fresh green beans with new potatoes; pecan pie; my grandma's macaroni and cheese (the real thing) or her blackberry cobbler.

Do any foods bring back bad memories? Yes!! But I'm not gonna share those yukky times with you! And trust me, you should be thankful for that.

Do any foods remind you of someone? Spaghetti makes me think of HB. Peas make me think of Molly!! And chocolate covered cherries remind me of my mom. She loved them.

Is there a food you refuse to eat? Probably several! You know I would never eat rattlesnake! Brains, tripe, any of those kind of things....ugh. I won't touch canned spinach. When I went to grade school there was a rule that you had to clean your plate before you could go out for lunchtime recess. On the days when they served canned spinach I resigned myself to sit in the lunchroom because nothing they could have done to me would make me eat that slimy stuff! I won't eat okra. And I don't eat meat. And I never drink milk!! Just never liked the stuff.

What was your favorite food as a child? I almost hate to tell you this one!! You'll think I grew up deprived or something, which I didn't....but I loved fried fresh side meat as a kid! It was salty and crispy and when my mom cooked it I could eat several pieces. We usually only had it once in awhile. I think my dad liked it. I also loved breaded pork chops. And ice cream!!

Is there a food that you hated as a child but now love? Oh, too many to name here! I was a very picky eater when I was a kid. Plus I never wanted anything on my plate to ever touch! If it did then I wouldn't eat it. Now my favorite things are one-dish meals where everything is all mixed together. One food I never ate as a kid was cauliflower but I love it now.

Is there a food that you loved as a child but now hate? I'd probably have to go with the fried side meat!! Can't imagine eating that now!

Favorite fruit & vegetable? I eat bananas just about every day. I also love watermelon....and almost every other fruit I've ever tasted. As for veggies, I like most of them. I guess I would say asparagus or broccoli.

Favorite junk food? I don't eat at junk food places very often. Usually only if we're travelling or in a pinch for something quick to eat.

Favorite between meal snack? Grapes....either fresh or frozen. And Trader Joe's has these veggie chips that I love.

Do you have any weird food habits? I don't eat ketchup on french fries (or anything else!) and HB thinks that's weird. I don't eat meat and some people think that's weird. I don't like jelly on my peanut butter sandwiches and most people think that's weird. I told you about my habits as a kid and even I think that's weird!

You're on a diet. What food(s) do you fill up on? Wow! Somebody should have told me sooner!! What diet am I on?? South Beach? Atkins? Slimfast?? Seriously, I would fill up on fresh fruits and veggies and drink lots of water.

You're off your diet. Now what would you like? Whew! I'm glad that's over!! Now pass me some cookies, cake, a couple slices of pie and a pint of coffee ice cream.

How spicy do you order Indian/Thai? Not very! I don't do very good with spicy foods.

What would you like to drink? Most of the time I drink water or some kind of flavored water with an occasional iced tea or iced coffee. If it's to be an alcoholic drink, make it a margarita. My second choice would be a mai tai.

Red wine or white? White, please. Or a nice blush. Reds are a little robust for me.

We only have beer. Well, then I'm out of luck because in a million, trillion, bazillion years I would never drink a beer. I hate the smell of it, the taste is gaggy, and I won't tell you what it looks like to me!!

Favorite dessert? Just one?? Oh, come on now....I don't think I've ever met a dessert I didn't like! Pineapple upside-down cake is pretty high on my list. Pecan pie. Cheesecake. Ice cream. I think you get the picture!!

The perfect nightcap? A cup of hazelnut hot chocolate....or maybe something that HB calls Schtupy....hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps!! We always had that when we went camping.

Now if anyone wants to do this meme feel free to take it. I think I'll go weigh myself now because I must have gained about 50 pounds just talking about all those sweets!

4 comments:

  1. Fun meme! I see a recurring name (TJ's) It's also one of our favorite stores. I doubt they'll ever come to our town. We have to travel about 20 miles to Fairfield or Napa or Concord.
    (which we do on a regular basis)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun to read your answers, Janet! One question though...what is "side meat?" Must be something we grew up calling something else because I've never heard that term.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I could never do this one because I HATE to cook and I am such a picky eater (in terms of what I like). But I do like TJ's...AND, I LOVE LOVE LOVE peanut butter!! heehee
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. maryanne4:28 PM

    YUMmm,grandma's blackberry cobbler.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!