Followers

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Just Call Me Pumpkin Girl...

Since this is Halloween I thought I would share a little pumpkin story with you.



When I was a kid my dad planted a garden every year. He was very meticulous about his garden....he measured out just the right length and width that he needed, and he used a hand tiller to plow up the ground. He measured how many rows he would have and then pounded stakes into the ground, strung string from stake to stake and made sure all the rows he planted were precisely straight and true.

He took great pride in the veggies he grew. He weeded and hoed and raked and was always making sure everything was just so.

I was not particularly interested in gardening but at some point I discovered that those pesky seeds that were in some things were the very thing that made veggies grow. It seemed rather magical to me.

One year as my mom cleaned out a pumpkin for carving I casually asked her if I could have the seeds. She said yes and I took them all and put them in a container.

The next Spring when my dad got his garden spot all planted, I decided to see if my pumpkin seeds would grow. I sneaked them out to the garden and just began putting them in the dirt....just anyplace, all willy nilly.

Well, how they did it I'll never know but somehow those seeds had survived and when I put them in the ground they took hold. Before too long there were little plants popping up all over the garden. My dad was confused and couldn't figure out what was happening.

Soon the vines were going every which way all through the nice straight lines of veggies. At some point my dad was able to recognize what was growing in his garden and was even more confused as he knew he had not planted pumpkins!




Finally everyone figured out what had happened and asked me if I had planted anything. Yes, I replied. I planted pumpkins! My dad was not amused!! That year we had some huge pumpkins mixed in with all the other veggies. And that was my last attempt at growing pumpkins.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN

11 comments:

  1. Well, I think that was very creative of you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute story Little Pumpkin Girl!
    Happy Howl-a-ween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is so cute, growing pumpkins, I loved the idea of you doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this story....I was visualizing my dads garden....such a pure innocence you had....I am still giggling....I can just see your dad scratching his head in wonder....I bet you were a curious little thing!
    Thanks for sharing this!

    Peace and giggles.....mostly giggles today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:53 AM

    What a lovely story...I love the way pumpkins grow, they take on a life all their own, and most of the veggie patch!
    HAPPY HALLOW E'EN Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a marvelous story. A sweet little girl that just wanted to make her own magic!

    Thank you for telling it.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dad sounds like my dad - same sort of garden and same sort of reaction to the pumpkin seeds! I think it showed great enterprise on your part:) Love the cat in the pumpkin at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha,,,thats a great story sweet little Janet,,planting her little pumpkin seeds all over daddy's garden,,bet he never forgot that one either,,lol.
    Happy Halloween Janet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute...hope you had fun this Halloween....weren't the stories cool...It's been the most fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that story! Happy Halloween!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:29 PM

    Such a cool story. My dad also had a garden every year. I can rememb er him doing all those same things. I also remember hour weeding his garden, harvesting, then helping Mom can and freeze everything.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!