Sunday, October 08, 2006

Welcome to Our Yard Sale!

Well, the big yard sale is over and done and am I ever glad! It seems as if I've been working on this thing for a year! Friday HB and I spent the day working in the back yard getting everything spiffed up and looking nice. He also devised a hanging rack for clothes, and we brought out every tabletop we could think of and made places to set things.

It was busy, busy, busy. And then we set the alarm for 4:00 AM on Saturday!! We began taking things to the patio and yard right after we had a quick bite to eat. It was a bit crazy because we had to be very quiet so as not to disturb the neighbors. I'm sure they would have loved us waking them up at 4:00 on a Saturday morning!

It sounds like a long time to get ready for a sale scheduled to open at 9:00 AM but we used every minute! I had started bringing stuff downstairs to the living room and family room a couple of days earlier but there was still lots more left upstairs that had to be brought down that morning.

HB went to the union hall on Friday and talked them into letting us use some of their political sign frames. We just turned them inside out and wrote our yard sale information on them....they said it was ok to do that. So just before time for the sale HB went around the neighborhood and placed eight signs with arrows pointing people in the right direction. We also ran an ad in the little free advertising paper.

The sale started off with a bang! People were waiting at 8:30 when HB got back from placing the signs so we opened the gate and they started flooding in. This is the way it looked from the gate entrance to the back yard....

And here is a wide shot of the back yard....

And the patio....

This is a close-up of one of the tables....

This has my pile of yarn in the left corner of the tarp on the ground....

This middle table was empty in no time at all!

This table at the end of the patio had odds and ends and the one around the corner mostly had candles and candle holders and potpourri. The candles did not sell....I think I sold three. Most of the odds and ends sold. People buy the strangest things!!

We used HB's scaffolding to hold lots of small items and some crafty things....

Another piece of the scaffold was propped between saw horses to hold boxes of books and stacks of magazines....mostly crafty ones! They didn't sell!!

I also had a few clothes, and they went fast.

The day was very hectic with lots of people coming in swarms right up until the time when the "cops" arrived! I kid you not!! I was sitting behind one of the tables when this woman rounded the corner of the patio, clipboard in hand, and asked "Who's in charge here?" HB and I both said something at the same time and she proceeded to tell us she had three of our signs in her vehicle and was fining us $10 per sign!

We asked why and she said it was against the law to place signs on public property! I told her I had never heard of that and she said the notice was posted in a quarterly magazine put out by the city. When I said I had never seen the notice, she said "Well, it's in there....most of the time"

So HB had to pay the $30 to get the signs back (we had to return them to the union hall) and then he had to drive around and get the others. After that the sale pretty much was over!

We had a few people wander in because we had a big sign on one of our trucks parked out in front. Apparently that was ok!! And the last customer of the day was the only crafter-type person to show up and she and her daughter bought $45 in stuff.

I still have a lot of crafty things left but I sold almost all the dishes and glassware, clothes, some Halloween items, a few Christmas items, all the furniture we had out....which wasn't much!....and a few books.

It always happens this way....the things I'm sure will sell, don't and the things I don't think will sell, do!! It was a fairly successful yard sale even though we did have a surprise visitor!