Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A Little Bit of Christmas

I know I've already done a meme this week but yesterday I saw this one over on Sheila's blog and I had to do it....'cause it has a Christmas theme.

She had hers all in red and green lettering and it looked very pretty but I decided to go "plain"....it probably would be hard to read against my purple background.

So here goes.....

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
I like both! And since chocolate is off my list this year, it will have to be egg nog all the way. I just bought some Silk Nog....a soy egg nog....and it is delicious! HB liked it, too.



2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?
When my kids were small there were wrapped presents under the tree and then on Christmas Eve Santa always left a couple of bigger things unwrapped.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
I like the tiny, white lights. And I can't be in a room with the ones that flash off and on. They drive me crazy!!

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
No.



5. When do you put up your decorations?
Again, when my kids were small I put up the tree right after Thanksgiving. Now I do it when ever I have time!

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
A jello dish my mom always made using raspberry jello, crushed pineapple, whole cranberry sauce, and pecans....then frosted with a combination of cream cheese and sour cream. Molly and I LOVE this!!

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
When we went to my grandparent's ranch in Kansas at Christmas, my Uncle Fat (that's what everyone called him!!) always dressed up as Santa and delivered presents to all the kids....even non-family members around the area. I think he must have loved kids a lot.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I don't remember learning anything about Santa! Are you all keeping secrets from me??



9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Sometimes HB and I will open one small gift on Christmas Eve but my family has always waited until Christmas morning to open presents.

10. What kind of decorations are on your Christmas Tree?
The big tree that we put in the living room is all done with tiny white lights, and red and gold ornaments....kind of elegant. Then we have a smaller tree in the family room that has the same lights but the ornaments are just a mix of colors and fun things. Believe it or not, I still have some small blue glass ornaments from my first Christmas tree when I was only a few months old!!

11. Snow! Love it or Dread?
Love to be inside beside a crackling fire and look out at the snow but I don't want to be out in it anymore....or drive in it!!

12. Can you ice skate?
NO!! The following photo would be me on ice skates!!



13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
No....each year brings something else special and wonderful.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Having my family around me.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
Mocha nut balls....a cookie that I make every year for Molly.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Probably baking cookies. My mom and I always got together at my house and baked cookies each year. She loved to bake. Oh, and my kids and I used to make crafts at Christmas time and that was fun.

17. What tops your tree?
A beautiful, lighted angel....very similar to the photo below.



18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
I love to give....I love when I find something that I know the person will like. But then when I can't find something it's frustrating. And of course, I like to receive gifts, too....who doesn't!

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
Oh, Holy Night. And We Three Kings of Orient Are.

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yummy?
They aren't my favorite thing but hey, it's candy!!



I think maybe a little bit just around the edges sorta kinda I might be getting in the Christmas mood. Now don't start breaking into carols or anything like that but you might see me don a Santa hat!! Don't get all excited....I said MAYBE!!

7 comments:

  1. Mocha nut balls???????? Now....are you hiding these from me Janet!!????? I MUST have the recipe Sweetie! AND...YES...indeed I believe that you still have those blue ornaments from when you were 4 mo. old...IF anyone does...it's YOU my friend! I enjoyed reading this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was fun..I'm happy to read i'm not the only one who can't ice skate !
    Don't you love the Soy silk products, they are my fave's as I don't drink milk (YUK).
    What is this question everyone is asking about Santa..last I heard he was working overtime at the North Pole..let me know if you hear anything different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet I love this post! I am going to do it too! Should have visited this morning when I was at a loss for ideas! Really enjoyed reading about the traditions!
    Thanks, it was fun!

    Peace and giggles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great meme! I will be doing this one sometime after Thanksgiving! I have lots of ornaments from when I was little too!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, one I haven't seen before. I get to steal a meme from you! :-)
    I'll probably wait to do it a bit closer to Christmas, but I'll do it.

    PS...Oh Holy Night is my favorite traditional carol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That jello salad sounds delicious! Would you post the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet I love your holiday meme! I did this one too it was a lot of fun.

    I know a little more about you now :o) and I love what I read!

    Lee-ann

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!