Friday, November 10, 2006

Old Postcards from Around the US....

Over the past few months I've shared some of my old postcards from England. Today I'm going to share just a few of the ones from this country. I'm not sure who these belonged to but somehow I ended up with them.

The first one is "Logging Train on the Way to Bellingham's Mills"....



I would assume this means Bellingham, WA but that's just my guess. Those are some big logs on that train! Also I'm guessing that the postcard is from the early 1900's.

From there we'll travel over to Missouri for a stay at the Elms Hotel in Excelsior Springs....



The back of this postcard says "The Elms Hotel at Excelsior Springs, Missouri is one of the most beautiful and well-equipped hosteleries of that famed health and pleasure resort where the health-giving waters attract thousands of visitors yearly."

It looks as if it might have been quite the place in its time. I decided to do a quick google search and discovered this information about the hotel. And they have this very same postcard on their site!!

Now this next one is a curiosity. I'm not sure why there would be a postcard for this place. Certainly not a tourist destination!!! Although it is a destination of sorts for some people!!



This one says "Entrance State Prison, Lansing, Kansas" The photo is actually quite beautiful. That must have been depressing to be inside those walls looking out onto such lovely grounds.

The final two postcards are from San Francisco....one of my favorite cities. The first one says "Parapet at Sutro Heights, San Francisco, California"....



The flowers look gorgeous and there seems to be some statuary dotted around the grounds. By the clothing I would say this was from the early 1900's too.

And last on our whirlwind trip is this one....



It reads "A view of Cliff House, San Francisco, during fire which totally destroyed it in Sept. 1907." How sad! I did a search for this one too and here is what I learned. Quite interesting.

I hope you have enjoyed this quick little tour around these areas. Please join us later for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres in the lounge!!

6 comments:

  1. Interesting post cards Janet. San Francisco has always seemed an interesting place. What a shame that building was destroyed. Back then they wouldn`t have had much of a chance to put something like that fire out!

    tea
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old postcards. They always look like they're hand tinted. Do you collect them? Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the postcards. I am going to have to go back to my antique store soon and see about getting a few more. I want to do something artsy with them. Thanks for sharing yours Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find these cards so interesting, to see how a place once looked, and they are even better when they have been used and you see what people wrote all those years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are all so interesting Janet. The Cliff House was rebuilt and recently went through a renovation. We have been meaning to go for some time now. YOu just can't beat these old original post cards, I like them better than the newer photographic ones I think.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cool, Janet!! I collect old postcards, too... I especially love the View of the Cliff House on fire. That's probably worth some $$... Thanks for sharing those:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!