Saturday, December 23, 2006

Almost But Not Quite.....

It's almost but not quite time. The big rush is on! I'm sure there are many people out there trying frantically to finish their Christmas shopping. I will be staying home! I might bake some cookies or some quick bread, then I'll wrap the few gifts I've purchased or made. I think it will be a quiet day at Chez Bee-cause.



Wrapping gifts is one of my favorite things about Christmas. I used to wrap most of the gifts in our family when I was younger. I've even wrapped some of my own gifts! By that I mean gifts that other people gave to me....one year I was dating a guy (this was after I was divorced from my kid's dad) who had a fairly big family. He was lamenting the fact that he had a bunch of gifts that needed to be wrapped so I offered to wrap them for him. He already had most things in a box so he would just hand me a box, tell me whether it was going to a man or a woman and then I would wrap it and put a big bow on top. I didn't bother to look inside the boxes at what I was wrapping.

On Christmas, when the guy presented me with my gift I recognized it as one I had wrapped!! So I wrapped my own gift! But even if I had known I wouldn't have peeked. I told you....I like surprises. I never peeked, and still don't, at gifts that might be hidden around the house.



Which brings me to this little tidbit that just happened at Molly's house. Ryder wanted some special pants that had to be ordered online. So Molly ordered the pants and several other things for him....shoes, shirts, etc. It was to be the bulk of his Christmas from her. She came home from the store last week to find an open box and packing materials scattered around the living room....and Ryder wearing the new pants!! He had opened the box....addressed clearly to his mom!! She was really not happy about this. And also disappointed because it ruined her chances of watching him open the gifts on Christmas morning.



Ryder is lucky to have such a sweet mom because when Molly and Buck were little kids I always told them that if they opened or sneaked a peek at a gift before Christmas, and I found out about it, I would give that gift to charity for some other kid to enjoy!

On that note, I'm off to the kitchen. I hear chocolate and butter and flour calling out to me to make them into cookies!! But alas!....they will all be for other people. I'm still being good. I haven't had one cookie or any other kind of yummy since I started my healthier eating plan.

9 comments:

  1. Wrapping the gifts is fun, I like to see them all pretty too.
    No cookies...you are a good girl Janet! I wish I could say the same...I buy goodies and they just disappear...maybe after Christmas we can talk about this healthy eating plan..I have begun the exercise thing..thanks to Blue.
    Until then however...maybe just one more chocolate..?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas!
    We are having an early Christmas.
    Son's family and in-laws are coming for dinner and gift sharing.
    Rest of the time will be sent quietly.

    I hope you have a peaceful and joyous Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so impressed by your strong will of not eating any cookies or sweets, you must be one strong woman!

    And not peeking at presents, that's very good of you! I love surprises too, but whenever I can sniff something like a present or a surprise, I always get so curious I can't really stop wondering and/or investigating... :)

    I wish you and your near and dear a Merry Christmas, all the best! Thank you for your wonderful blog.

    Christmas cheers from Sweden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did I hear you say BAKING!!!!! I love to wrap gifts also...just something about it! Have fun baking! I can't believe you haven't eaten one cookie!!! Ho! Ho! Ho!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear friend, you continue to inspire me even at long distances.I am half way through the new book Lynn gave me and already working on changing my ways
    with my eating. I plan to bake Lenny some cookies tomorrow, this will be a good test....I'll let you know how I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a Wonderful Christmas & A Very Happy New Year, Janet! It's been a real pleasure to 'meet' you, and I look forward to more next year :)
    Enjoy! :D
    Suze xXx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How I envy you being able to exercise. With this really stupid pinched nerve in my back, I'm not supposed to. I don't think shoveling snow counts as exercise, but as work! I didn't peek either, but my brother did--all the time. I was really a good guesser though.

    After Christmas and New Year's I and several million others will join in the healthy eating. I usually do it all year, but this not exercising has made me allow myself to get off the band wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Janet, I hope your Christmas is magical and peaceful. You've been a very good girl, Santa is watching. :)
    Love and hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a strong woman you are! I gave in to the sugar temptation about a week ago, and I can honestly say that I'm glad not to have the holiday excuse any longer! I've worked hard all year long to eat better, work out, and make some positive lifestyle changes. I didn't realize until I overdid it how much better I feel getting back to healthier eating. Something to remember on into the New Year, yes?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!