Sunday, January 28, 2007

Simple Abundance Sunday #2

This week as I read "Simple Abundance" a couple of things jumped out at me. The first one was that "accepting and blessing our circumstances is a powerful tool for transformation." I am learning to accept things as they really are and not as I would like them to be, or even how I imagine they are. For instance I would like to say my home is well-organized and spotless but the reality of it is....it's NOT!! I don't always acknowledge that because it's so much easier to pretend in my mind that everything is perfect. I absolutely hate doing housework....except for laundry....and it always seems such a waste of time! There's always art to create or a book to read or something that is more important to me.



So this week I've tried to accept that part of myself and bless it. I do so many other things much better than I take care of a house. And don't misunderstand me .... it isn't dirty, it's just cluttered. I have too many things around me and I've tried to eliminate many of them. Sometimes I've been successful, sometimes not.

The other message that I got was along the same lines....it was working with what you've got. Too often we all say something like "I'll do that when things calm down" or "I'll do that when the kids are grown" or "I'll do that when I get enough money"....you know the routine. But does that time ever come?? Does "tomorrow" ever get here?? Sarah writes "This I can report from the front lines: life never calms down long enough for us to wait until tomorrow to start living the lives we deserve." That one really strikes a note with me!! I have spent a lifetime waiting for the perfect time for whatever it is I'm thinking about doing. I used to say it would be when my kids were out of the house, then it was when I got a better job, or lived in a different place, or made new friends, or.....

Maybe that's also why my house isn't spotless now! I've finally started doing things when I want to do them. If I feel like making art then that's what I do. And if the toilet doesn't get cleaned until later then that's ok. I'm living the way I want to live....doing art when I want to....and I'm much happier.


****Note: this photo is NOT me!!

In the book it also suggests keeping a discovery journal where you snip pictures of things you like and paste them into a journal. And also to keep another journal for thoughts but I think I'm going to do as Robyn suggested and just make one journal for thoughts and pictures. It might turn out to be more of an art journal-type of thing and that could be quite interesting.

So this week I learned a bit more about myself. I guess I could sum it up by saying I'm a lousy housekeeper but I'm happy!!

5 comments:

  1. The most important thing is finding your "happy place" ..
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happiness is better than a clean house, or uncluttered house. Joy is the best of all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see what you mean!

    I hate housework, love the result though. So every so often, I force myself (and not necessarily in the middle of the night!!).

    I don't put off things I want to do (if they don't involve things like saving money..) I always "do it now", and I always thought it was because I was impatient. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute pic of you cleaning the tolit,,lol,,I know its not you. You have the best posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HERE! HERE! HOORAY HOORAY! I can SO relate to all of this...I found myself saying "oh yes" and "me too". You are so right about acknowledging it and just do what our hearts desire. I always say "if I had a bigger house"..."if we had more money"....if,if,if. Well sure i'd like a larger home (ours is SMALL) but then that would be more to clean and I don't even like doing our small one. And well, you get the idea. I think it's time I picked up Simple Abundance and REALLY read it. Seems to hit home a lot.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!