Monday, April 23, 2007

Finding Water in the Desert....oh, and a meme, too!

I live in the high desert thus "Finding Water" can be a bit tricky! It has proved so for me. Sometimes a book chooses me and when I read it, it resonates with me and other times I choose a book and I just don't get it.

"Finding Water" is, I'm sure, a good book and later when I read it again it will be the right time and I'll get it. I didn't choose this book at this time. The interest was all generated by others and I thought it might be fun to read something with a group....but it just doesn't work for me.

I'm sorry to quit in the middle of this but with everything else that's going on in my life right now I can't give it the concentration it deserves. I don't like to quit on anything but I also don't like to do something half-assed!!

********************************************

Now on to something else. Deb did a little meme from Create a Connection and I thought I'd give it a whirl, too.

1. What was your favorite childhood family vacation? Where did you go and what do you remember most about the trip? (this doesn’t have to be a big trip… even a camping trip - or whatever you remember!)

Mostly when my dad had vacation time we drove from IL to KS to visit my paternal grandparents. As a very small child I have memories of sleeping in the big back window of the car! It had a big "shelf" area that I curled up in....today my parent's would be arrested for child endangerment! One year after visiting grandma and grandpa we drove into CO and went to Colorado Springs for the one and only official vacation we ever took. It was the first time I ever stayed in a motel and I thought it was great. We did all the touristy things....Pike's Peak, Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls, the Royal Gorge, etc. I had never seen mountains until then and I thought you drove straight up the side until you reached the "point" and then you drove straight down again! Little did I know that one day I would live in that very town.



This is me (on the right) and another tourist kid and I think we were at Pike's Peak.

2. If you knew your grandparents, what do you remember most about them as a child? If you didn’t know them, what stories do you remember being told about them?

My grandparents were all very much a part of my life when I was growing up, and I even had one great-grandpa still living....he died when I was about 12 or 13, I think. I have lots of memories and stories about all my grandparents! My dad's dad was a very small man, bald on top with that little fringe of hair around the back, and he smoked a pipe. He always had that pipe in his mouth so much so that he wore away a part of his teeth where he clamped down on it! I always loved the smell of his pipe. He had a gruff manner but always had a twinkle in his eye. My dad's mom was a big woman. Once when we were visiting, she, my mom and I all went to Wichita to go shopping. It was summer and hot and we spent most of the day walking around. Every time Mom and Grandma got hot and stopped for a glass of iced tea I would ask for a chocolate soda. Of course, after one my mom said no but Grandma said "oh why not since it's so hot" and I was in heaven! I had three or four chocolate sodas that day and loved every last drop! My mom's dad taught me to make faces when I was just a toddler. I wrote about that on a previous post. My mom's mom was a tiny, little person. She was always singing hymns in the kitchen. She loved to talk on the phone and every morning she called her friends and chatted for hours. She made doll clothes for my dolls, baked the best ever blackberry cobbler, and grew hollyhocks out behind the garage.

3. Do you have siblings or not? What do you remember about growing up with or without them?

I'm it!! No brothers or sisters. Oddly enough, two of my best friends were also an only child so I didn't think much about it. It was when my mom died that I realized there was no one else except me.

4. What did you like best about summer vacation from school?

Duh! No homework!....and having time to spend with my friends, getting to stay up a little later at night and not having to get up as early in the mornings.

5. Did you like school or dislike school? What is your most memorable school moment?

I liked it and disliked it at the same time. I liked learning but I wasn't good with the social part of it. There were many times when other kids made my life miserable. I don't think I had a memorable moment! Maybe being named editor of my high school newspaper.

Bonus: Post a favorite photo of yourself from your childhood!!



I wouldn't say this is a favorite by any means but it was the first day of school. Not sure what year though....my mom didn't write on her photos! What a fashion plate I am!! I think I went to the "Poodle Hair Salon" for my coif!!

17 comments:

  1. I have started books three or four times before I'm ready to read them.
    I love your picture all dressed for school. It was hard playing on the monkey bars but it was fun to wear dresses I think. And didn't we look so cute in them and their attached petticoats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures with us! I could sit for hours listening about memories. :) Truthfully I can!
    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this post so much!
    I loved your picture at the end, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think you're quitting in terms of Finding Water. Some things are meant to be done in their own time.
    This meme is great and I just love the photo of you ready for school. If I can wade through and find a couple of vaca pics I just may do this one. I always say I will and then don't, but this one is a fun one for recalling memories.
    You know, I have 4(well 3 now) siblings and I still feel like an only child. Sometimes it's not all that great to have them. And yet looking back there were fond memories too.
    XOXO
    Love,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your answers (these were actually my questions over at Create a Connection - I guest-hosted getting to know you this month!)

    I love the photos of you!! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If the time's not right for you, then it just isn't right. You're doing what's right for you, right now, and maybe as you said, someday it will be the right time to read it.
    I have to admit, I haven't been nearly as into it as I'd hoped I would, but I'm just taking what bits and pieces do work. But with everything that's happened this past week, I haven't been into it much at all. I'll see how it goes this week.

    As always, I enjoyed reading your answers - that's so cool you were editor of your high school paper! Fun memories and photo - I remember my sister's hair in that style - they tried with mine, but my hair's too thin and fine. You look cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As usual Janet your meme was good to read. The pictures of you were lovely..I remember getting my hair done up like that. We thought we were so cool.
    thanks for sharing your memories..!
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's ok Janet...so many people have been less than enchanted with FW....it's not as good as AW or some of her others.
    Cute meme...Poodle hair...how funny
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are the meme queen 'your highness'.....I loved the photos! Takes me back.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ilove your photo and the curly hair Janet.
    Your memories of your grandparents are great --I can't remember 3 of mine and I don't have fond memories of my Grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  11. no homework, oh yes!! I agree intirely.. great meme. :)
    Peace, Kai

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL,,love the MEME and the Poodle Hair quip made me laugh and I needed a good one tonight, thanks Janet,,your a dear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the meme with the photos. I'm saving it for later.

    Raf used to live in the High Desert...we went through there 3 years ago. Beautiful but HOT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You you me me so so much much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos! And some books are just not meant to be read by you! Don't feel guilty, read another book or create more beautiful art.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Bee pointer is so cute. Are you sure we didn't go to school together...I looked the same as you, but not as cute. Your meme is great as ever. I thought about making one up for myself since I don't know how you get them.
    I am so glad you liked the picture of my Grandma and family. I have a lot of old pictures because I love them. I was very blessed to get so many of the family photo's.
    Arney left about 4:00 this morning. So it's just me and my Beagle's for a week. I cleaned out my crafting stuff this afternoon, it was so I could throw alot of stuff away...kept everything...junky!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really love the old photos and stories attached...They're reminiscent of my childhood!
    Very enjoyable! Hope your transition is smooth; I know how much you love the contentment that comes with time for creativity!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!