Monday, June 11, 2007

A Meme!! Who'da Guessed?

Something has been missing from my life in recent days....a meme! You know how I love these darn things and when I saw this one....well, you know I couldn't resist!! So here goes....

Where were you in 1987? In school? Working? Single? Married? Attached? What was important to you? What were you doing creatively? Tell us a bit about your life then.

In 1987 I was married to my second husband....he's from Thailand. We lived in Glendale, CA and I was office manager for a coffee service company. Creatively about the only thing I did in those years was crochet. I knew there was something missing in my life but I hadn't realized it was art and creating. Going into a yarn shop was about the only thing that jolted my senses....all those beautiful colors and textures were calling my name. I made lots of afghans, conquered my fear of thread crochet (!) and then turned out dozens of intricate doilies....which I never used. I still have one or two of them that I kept just to remind me that practice is what's important in learning something new.

Where were you in 1997? What would you like to share about the nineties?

By 1997 I had been married to HB for a couple of years (we had been together since 1990.) In June of '97 we were living in our RV in Oakridge, OR and traveling around for his job. Later that year we were in San Jose, CA. I looked back at one of my journals from June 1997 and read that I was doing watercolor greeting cards at that time. I tried to find small, lightweight things to do because anything heavy or bulky didn't work in an RV! The nineties, for me, were spent traveling. From 1991 until 2001 we lived in nine states, sometimes going back to a few of them several times. We started out with a 20' trailer (!!) to see if we would like traveling, then moved up to a 30' fifth-wheel, and then finally we had a 36.5' fifth-wheel with three slide-outs. But none of them were big enough for me!! With my passion for books it was difficult for me to narrow it down to just a few. I did like the fact that I could clean the entire place in just a short amount of time!

Here's a photo of HB and me taken during the nineties....we were in West Palm Beach, FL visiting HB's family....his beard is sure shaggy!! Guess he's really on vacation!



This is a photo of our last RV. It's not a great photo because we have the black sunscreen attached to the awning. This was in San Jose....


I think this one is clickable if you want to see it larger.

And here's another view of our "home"....



Where did you plan to be or think you'd be in 2007? Have you realized your goals? What is one thing about your present life you love and one you'd like to change?

I've never been much for planning anything long-term! And especially after meeting Rick. Our lifestyle was such that he could go to work in the morning and come home that night saying we were packing up for the next place. His work was always just for a specific job and when it was finished, we moved on to the next one. So I learned not to plan too much in advance! The only time that was really bad was if there was a concert or some special event that had to have tickets in advance....we never knew if we would still be there to use them so we seldom bought tickets for anything like that.

One thing I like about my life right now is the stability, and being fairly closeby where my daughter lives. I also love having my blog and interacting with everyone. I never would have believed that a few years ago!

The one thing I would change about my life now would be the house-selling situation. I wish it was over and done with so I could move on to the next chapter in our lives. That, and I'd like a bigger studio!!

How do you see your life in 2017? Do you have any goals or dreams for your future?

In 2017, I'll be 74 years young and I plan to still be going strong. I'll continue doing art, and trying to live a healthier life because I want to be out there kicking up my heels and learning new stuff everyday. I'm not much of a material gal so things aren't that important. As long as I have a safe place to live, food to eat, and art supplies to play with then I'll be happy. And I hope all my loved ones are close by and living healthy, happy lives, too.

*******************************************

I didn't just work this weekend....I actually had some time to make a little art doll. I was inspired by Lisa's recent art doll. The fabric was from an old shirt....the white of it actually looks beige in the photo but it isn't. Please forgive the ugly green foam background but I couldn't find anything that would show her white hair (she's a wise woman!) and her purple/black body. Her little charm says "follow your heart"....I think she needs something more but can't decide what....so here she is....



I'm thinking of calling her Shimasani. It's Navajo for grandmother.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Janet!!
    I love your spirit and hope to know you at 74! I'll be 64 then..following in your footsteps. May we both be healthy and still blogging away!
    Your doll is precious..she looks wise and I like her name too. I haven't made an art doll yet, but you are inspiring me to try!
    I've been too busy making domino necklaces and cleaning puppy poo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet,
    I can't quite visualize us living full time in an RV, but I can certainly see us doing lots more traveling than we do! Loved all your photos, and I also hope you're blogging in 2017. I'll be almost 69 then.
    Your grandma doll is too cute!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem to have led a really interesting life and lived in lots of different areas of the USA. It's such a vast and fascinating country, I hope that by 2017 I'll have seen more of it and still be doing lots of travelling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that was a groovy meme Ms Janet..I know you just do them to fill in the time until Lost and Heroes come back on..lol
    I love my Mini RV..aka Sunnybus, but dont think I could live in her for more then a month!!
    I adore your doll and Shimasani seems like a very fitting and unique name!
    Peace, Kai xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute doll...I love her name!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. INTERESTING LIFE YOU'VE HAD! THAT MUST BE WHAT'S KEPT U SO YOUNG AT HEART, NO WAY DO YOU SEEM 64 NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you Janet, I'm so glad to see back in Blogland more often! Interaction is good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great meme Janet... i envy you moving around in a way. i tend to dig myself a nice rut and make myself comfortable. Yet I love to travel, as long as it's not for too long.
    I will be 68 in 2017, and I hope to be commenting on your blog..!

    ReplyDelete
  9. BTW..loved your doll, and the name is perfect..!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it would be fun to travel around like that but not sure I could do it for an extended period of time. I dream of G and I having a motorhome ...the idea of taking off to the beach for a couple of days or a vaca road trip would be great. (just not to live in). My parents had a fifth wheel trailer and they went everywhere!
    Loved the meme, they are always so insightful. I will be 63 in 2017 and oh please let me be healthy and still a bit silly!
    Love the doll and her name!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. We used to have a travel trailer a 27' Nomad. We took it on outings, camping and to the lake (with 3 children) They got the twin beds...we slept on the table that converted into a bed.We could actually cook breakfast in bed LOL!
    I love your little doll. I've started making them since I've met like minded bloggers and just LOVE it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WoW!! That RV is bigger than most houses I've lived in! Amazing! What a life, Janet. Thanks so much for sharing all this with us - you have led such a fascinating life, I love hearing about it!
    The doll is wonderful, and that's a perfect name for her. Glad to see your muse is tickling you again! ;)
    Hugs, Suze xXx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a wonderful Meme,,I love it when you do those! You have had a great and exciting life. I would Love to travel like that and the RVs looked very comfy. That doll that you made is so cool. I Love it. I want to make some more dolls this summer.
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. She's beautiful, Janet! I love her name, too.

    Loved reading about your adventures over the past couple of decades and looking forward to reading about what you're up to over the next decade. Sometimes traveling around the country sure sounds enticing, but I'd have hard time narrowing down what art supplies and books I could keep with me. I could fill up the RV with my stuff alone, lol.

    Loved seeing the photo of you and HB - you both look so relaxed and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shimasani is beautiful and very mysterious looking. Just the doll that would be good to have around to remind us that the simple things in life might be the most beautiful.

    I like your pictures from your past.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!