Sunday, August 19, 2007

Doing for Others....

There are so many worthwhile things to do right now that I may not get anything done except charitable creating! Once again I'm working on a scarf for the Red Scarf Project but this year I'm getting an early start! Usually I begin working on my scarf sometime around Christmas when I'm busy with so many other things....not this year! I've already got my scarf about 3/4 finished.



And here's a close-up view of the stitch....it's just a simple combination of singles and chains with a half-double at each end.



I like doing things like this for someone I've never met. I'll most likely also be making another scarf for the WWII veterans. I made one last year and it felt good to think that my scarf would go to someone who had sacrificed so much for us.

I'm also working on a couple of dolls for Pat Winter's comfort doll project. I should have some photos in a day or so. This is such a great idea. If you haven't heard about it already be sure to check it out.

I hope everyone will understand if I postpone making things for all my blogger friends and concentrate on making these things for others who need them. Somehow it makes more sense to me....we bloggers all receive so many gifts and there are so many other people who receive very little if anything.

********************************************

You know how I love these quiz thingies!! So here's another one....

You Are 2: The Helper

You always put on a happy face and try to help those around you.
You're incredibly empathetic and care about everyone you know.

Able to see the good in others, you're thoughtful, warm, and sincere.
You connect with people who are charming and charismatic.

At Your Best: You are deeply giving, altruistic, and humble. You devote your life to others while caring for yourself too.

At Your Worst: You are manipulative and enjoy making other people guilty.

Your Fixation: Rejection

Your Primary Fear: Being unworthy of love

Your Primary Desire: To be loved unconditionally

Other Number 2's: Mother Teresa, John Travolta, Princess Diana, Dr. Phil, and Mr. Rogers.

15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful red scarf and a beautiful thing to do! I love the pattern of the scarf! how is everything??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scarf looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you know I have to go take the quiz! I can't and don't want to resist them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, Janet, I'm a number 6! I'm not sure that is good

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Janet, you needn't worry about gifts to bloggers, please know that! Look at what you are doing with the scarves! It's Wonderful to think of those in need.
    I, too, am going to be making some comfort dolls - what a good feeling knowing they will be in the hands of women who may get real comfort from them.
    I took the quiz, I am also a 2.
    Sending you love and hugs,
    Lisa
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice Janet...I love your giving nature!
    I am wondering what I should do...I want to do something that will make an actual difference this year. Buying gifts isn't cutting it anymore. Thanks for planting a seed in my brain!!!
    xo
    Blue

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a good person, as well as a talented one. Your scarf is amazing, I am always blown away by people that can knit and crochet. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's GREAT! YOU got an early start on it! It is sOOOoooo pretty and warm looking! That's also great for a veteran to get something like that to keep warm!!!YOU are in GREAT company, Mother Teresa!!!Woot! Thank YOU! for all your encouragement Janet!((((Janet))))

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous scarf! What a generous and gracious endeavor! You are so sweet...

    I am no good with yarn and needles...never quite got the hang of it....Your work is exquisite it seems!

    You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The scarf is wonderful and such a worthwhile project.
    Sending love
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the gifts for others is a great idea. It's great that you have gotten a head start with the scarf, it will be so nice for someone. I did the quiz, I'm a 6, not one of my favorite numbers but it seemed to fit ok.....also did the one about the soul.(I'm a dreamer) Imagine that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Scarf is gorgeous!

    I did the quiz and I am a peacemaker. To be honest, most of that stuff is true, unfortunately, for some parts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful scarf and what a wonderful cause.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Remember I commented a while ago that maybe your creative block was because you needed a purpose to create for, rather than just creating? Well this is a GREAT idea, the fact that there is a really worthwhile cause at the end of the process will fire up the old creativity and keep it going! So it will not only help those who the work is intended for, but you too! BONUS. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!