Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Designing Woman....

When I was a young girl I loved to design and draw clothes for paper dolls. My best friend Gail and I would spend hours drawing dresses and fancy gowns. We had big plans to be designers when we grew up. Then "life" happened!! Neither one of us became a designer. I wish I could tell you I still have stacks of those drawings but I don't. Somehow through the years they were discarded.

We used catalogs from Frederick's of Hollywood for inspiration and for the forms of our dolls. That was back in the days when the catalog was completely hand-drawn....no actual photographs of models were used. It was all drawings and very seductive poses and exaggerated bodies! We loved it!!

Maybe that's why I still draw dresses. I've never been able to sew anything more than a straight seam but I love to design and draw exotic dresses and flowing gowns. Here's my latest drawing....



Actually just a quick sketch....no color on this one. How odd that I love to draw evening gowns but in real life I spend my time in jeans and a tee shirt! If it's not comfortable I don't wear it!

8 comments:

  1. Well I do think you missed your calling because you definetly have the talent for designing those beautiful gowns, even if you are a jeans and t-shirt gal!!!
    xoxoxooxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could do more dresses for paper dolls, those flowing long gowns that look so delicate and glamorous. Like the one you did here, it gives an idea of a great diva walking to a stage and start singing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your women are great. Love her swirly hair!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow janet! you are so talented! how amazing would drawings like this one look, framed in the boudoir perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet when I was young I also drew dresses and when I grew up I chose fashion as a career..I was a buyer for carriage trade shops and then I was surrounded by pretty dresses all day long!
    Now retired I live in casual wear and have few pretty dresses and spend all day looking at how nature dresses my garden in frills!! hugs NG

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looooooove all of you women. They look so glam. Love Hugs and Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think it's odd at all - I could say just about the same thing - can't sew them, don't wear them, love to draw them!
    Hey have you thought about drawing one for the bloglandia ball at Be Dream Play?
    Your dress drawings make me think of glamorous art deco drawings - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janet.. I am so glad you went to my blog, then I got to take time to go to yours... I am so in awe of your drawings! You do a increadble job... I could just see on all beaded up... LOL...

    You so inspire me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!