Monday, September 24, 2007

Thank you, Lia!!!!

If you've been reading my blog for any length of time you probably already know that I have an interest in art journals....but it's just been an interest!! I haven't actually started keeping one.

I painted some pages a few months ago and then had problems getting something to write on them. But I still look at art journals online and wish I knew the "secret" to making them.

Well, I might just have found it! A few days ago Lia had a link to some tutorials on YouTube....I went, I watched, I got inspired!! I bought some oil pastels, although not the kind recommended because they weren't available in any of our stores here, and I wanted to get busy right away. The ones I got work ok but I'll order the others online.

I actually smudged and squished and pushed and pulled the colors over the pages. I tried to be loose and free (didn't happen!) with it and hopefully if I keep trying it will happen. Here's the first couple of pages I did. They aren't great but at least I gave it a shot....



The picture is a little darker than it is in real life but when I tried to lighten it, it lost some of the detail so I just left it dark.

You can't really read what it says "Fall is my favorite time of year" on one side and "falling leaves" on the other.

*******************************************

While visiting Maryellen's blog I noticed a quiz thingie on her sidebar and I couldn't resist!!

You Were a Whale

You see the unseen and connect on the deepest level.
You help others find their soul's song.


I'll post some drawings later today or tomorrow. I have been drawing, just not putting them on for some reason.

18 comments:

  1. I was a porcupine in my past life:

    "You have created your own path in life, and you encourage others to do the same.
    Even as life progresses, you always maintain a sense of wonder and innocence."

    Need any quills for drawing? I have plenty to spare!

    Love the orange and blue colors in the drawings. Fall is my favorite time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a cougar, which seems right enough. I love what you are doing. I'm fine, but really pushing to make more stuff for the sale. Falling is something I do about once or twice a year. I hope I've learned to watch where I'm going. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet,

    I loved those utube videos. Your journal pages look great!!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your leaves. I dunno, I think they look loose and free! Keep on paintin'!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a deer!!
    I really like these pages, especially the falling leaves...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet...love your new look! I'm loving Fall....and so loved the rain! It's time I get busy with art! XXXOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG!!! The Lavender loft!!! How amazing is this???
    I can SMELL this place now! Lavender is my absolute all time favourite smell...and colour. Purple like you! Indigo Blue purple for me.
    You go girl!
    I like your Fall collage. Wonderful, and I can read it, it isn't too dark.
    Thank you for the note from the Universe in the sidebar too, I love that stuff. I need to read these things daily to remind myself!!
    xo
    Blue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pages. Fall is also my fav time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your journal pages look so bright and colorful - they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very, very kewl Mz. Janet. Can't wait to see more of your journal. Looks like you are off to a good start. I have never used oil pastels. Tried and failed. When you close the pages, do they stick? Does it have to be sealed? More More!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok,I thought I was lost, you changed your name on your blog,,I Like it ALOT!!! The Lavendar Loft,,cool. I LOVE the journal your working in. I am so wanting to work in my journal but so tired at night that I don't. Your inspiring me though!
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been a few days since I've read any blogs so I'm trying to catch up...I really like the "new look" and the name. I also have a lot of questions about the journal that you paint in, very interesting
    As if I don't have enough going on we started a craft night at the church and today is the first one so I've got to get my "show & tell"
    ready. BE BLESSED:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was a Polar Bear.

    Took out my Art journal, it was in my knitting bag.

    Posted a "drawing" in my blog, and watched the art video. Thanks for that link.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the YouTube videos are wonderful and very inspiring. Glad that they 'relaxed' you enough to create in the journal. If you do it often you'll get 'loose and free'; but you don't have because your pages are great already :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also have an interest in art journals and found that link and I love it, and started another art journal and vow to finish this one....I have a hard time being messy but my page turned out ok. Love yours

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think your journal pages are beautiful!!! :-)

    Lia is a sweetie, isn't she? So talented. You are too! Ya both are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So good the hear you have that art journal going!
    I treated my self to Cloth Paper Scissors and am trying a new technique...sketching with the sewing machine and black thread!
    Very freeing! I think I'll be able to use the method in some quilts too!
    I think your drawing of HB's shoes is just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I watched the video and did some creations last night. Thanks so much for posting the links.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!