Followers

Monday, October 22, 2007

California Is On Fire....

As many of you know, Southern California is on fire! There are so many fires raging at this moment that I can't keep track of them all....from Malibu to San Diego.


Photo taken from the web.

Thankfully none of them are anywhere near where we live. I can only say I'm sending out good thoughts to all the people who are in the line of these fires. The big problem has been the wind and the dryness of everything. The humidity was in single digits in many areas yesterday. We had about 12% on our back patio.

If you don't live here or have never visited here you might think (from tv and the movies) we have perfect weather all the time. Not true!! We have some very treacherous weather at times and the wind is one of the biggest problems. Yesterday the news reported a wind gust of 108 MPH in the mountains above the Malibu area fire!! So you can see that a fire is a very dangerous thing under these dry, windy conditions.

********************************************

On other news, I'm doing good after my last go-round with the dentists. This was a follow-up from the earlier visit. All is good and I don't have to go back until after Thanksgiving. Speaking of Thanksgiving, I can't believe that this year is almost over! Christmas will be here before I can turn around and this year I have to get myself in the spirit and put up a tree. Last year I was Mrs. Bah Humbug and never seemed to get in the mood for decorating. Then we decided to put the house on the market in the Spring and when I had my big yard sale I sold a lot of my bigger Christmas decorations! Now I wish I had them back!! Oh, well....I guess that means I'll have to get new ones!

********************************************

I am sorry to report I have no new art to show you today! I frittered away the entire weekend and never once went into the studio! I did do a little crocheting and soon I hope to have that baby blanket finished. All those little rings are so tedious to make!! But it will be worth it in the end when I can finally donate it and make someone happy.

19 comments:

  1. I, too, am praying for those people who live near the fires. Scary! I lost my home in a fire 25 years ago so I know how they are feeling.

    It's nice to have those fritter away weekends. I was busy Saturday but frittered away all of Sunday!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad to know you're not near this awful firestorm. I was thinking of you every time I saw anything about it on the news. Buying new decorations for Christmas will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw those fires they do look evil. I am glad your not close to them. So glad you don't have to go back to Dentist till after Turkey day,,I HATE Dentists!!! I wish I had enough money to go to one of those dentist that put you to sleep,, :-)
    xoxoxoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched the news yesterday about the fires and I too am praying for the people in the area.

    Gymnastic season is almost here and as I sit in the stands I am going to knit an afghan for donation. Can't wait to see how your crocheting rings turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im glad you're out of the way of the fire. I know how ferocious the winds can be ..The Santa Ana's just funnel off the mountains and fan those wild fires.

    Im going to the dentist thru you as you seem to have a much better one then me, and your news is good. :)

    Peace and fun, Kai xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad the old snappers are getting better! Fire is so strange, such a cosy thing when in the right place at the right time, and so scary when on the rampage, beautiful yet destructive. good on you, taking a weekend to chill and do your own thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I a mglad to hear you are'nt near the fires..I was wondering about all my Califrnia bloggeristas!..Girl..All I d oany more is fritter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those Santa Anna's are fierce, almost like the Mistrals in France. I love this state but every year I worry with yet another devastating fire how many more will lose their homes and the landscape charred. I am so glad they aren't in the high desert area near you. I worry for those it is close to.
    We frittered away the weekend in some ways too and you know what, that's ok. I didn't even do any art. Now I'm on to the big Studio caper!
    Thinking of you!
    XOXOXO
    Love and hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you aren't near the fires Janet. Yikes that is scary.
    Sometimes we need to catch up on life before we can create with a clear conscience!
    xo
    Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been watching the news and feeling so bad for the people who have lost their homes. It is incredible that the fire can create their own wind, they called it a fire storm. I'm glad you are safe. I frittered away the weekend too, I think the change in seasons has us all changing gears. love and hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fires are powerful, I just hope it dies down soon and people would be safe.

    Dentist, hmmm, I have an appointment tomorrow, but just for cleaning. She always gives me these funny cleaning thingies, and I use them for a while, but not just before my appointment.

    I've been knitting, and knitting, and knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so happy to hear that you are safe from the raging fires I pray for all the people their homes and all innocent animals that are affected.
    I pray for their safety and for the fires to get under control.I also pray for the fire men risking their lives . blessings Anna

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to hear that you aren't near the fires. Our town has sent a team to help fight the fires. Most towns around here have done the same.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm trying to knit some booties for Annielf to send to Afghanistan!
    I'm glad your area isn't having fires! I hope the worst will soon be over, there.
    You will have fun making new holiday decorations! Can't beleive how fast autumn flies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been watching the news. How devastating. We had fires like this in the interior of BC a few years ago now! It took out so many houses. Not the magnitude that this is. Prayers and good thoughts are needed. I heard a reporter watched his own house burn. He lived there twenty five years. So horrible...no words for this one...only hope they are all safe with loved ones. Glad you're safe. I thought of you and Lisa right away!

    Hugs Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Janet, thanks for stopping by. It's good to be back. Congrats on the Red Sox win. it would'vd been fun to have a home team in the world series. Glad your not by those fires. They are scary! ttyl.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you are safe Janet! Scary thing these weather conditions. Here I've been wishing for cold weather so we can use our fire place. It's still like summer here and I'm a four season person...can't stand the heat for too long.
    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everyone is so worried about the fires. With the winds, it is just so hopeless seeming. I'm glad you aren't in them, but my heart bleeds for those that are!

    We went to the dentist today and they worked on my teeth guard that is supposed to put the right angle on my Jaw joint. Good ole! TMJ! I should have a great night tonight. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The people in that fire are in my prayers! That is just HORRIBLE! I've been through a fire...and it is NOT something that ANYONE would want to go through. It is just something that is NOT easy to get over. It causes pain that is just unbareable sometimes.

    Anyway, I can't wait to see your art in the future. :) My computer hasn't even been able to upload anything..so you are not alone. :)
    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!