Friday, October 26, 2007

A Little Ghost Story

Since it's getting close to Halloween and I haven't done one single thing to decorate my blog or my house, I thought I would tell you a "ghost" story.

When I first met HB I lived in an apartment with a big "L" shaped living-dining-kitchen. At one end of the dining area sat my grandma's little hutch and atop that was a mish-mash of items that just ended up there....one of which was a tall triple-decker hamburger shaped bank that my ex and I had gotten as a joke when we were in Mexico. It sat up there and held my loose change and I actually didn't even notice that it looked a little tacky! You know how you look at something every day and pretty soon you don't even see it anymore.

Just a little background on my mom....she had seldom "approved" any of the guys I dated over the years. She was picky and wanted perfection for me, I guess. But we all know that doesn't exist! When I began dating HB, my mom had been dead for many years but I still wondered what she would think of him.

One evening HB and I had been out for dinner and came back to my apartment and were sitting at the dining room table having a drink and talking. In those days he always wore a cowboy hat. When we came in, he had placed it on the hamburger bank since it was the perfect size and shape to hold it. As we sat there talking, the conversation eventually came around to my mom and we were discussing whether or not she would approve of him when suddenly the cowboy hat went sailing across the room!

We both just sat there looking at each other. We couldn't believe what had happened. There were no doors or windows open, no breezes, no one else in the apartment, no pets, nothing but the two of us and we hadn't touched the hat!! But there it lay on the kitchen floor several feet from where HB had placed it on the hamburger bank! We always took that as a sign that mom was listening in on our conversation. We couldn't decide whether or not she approved or disapproved....what do you think??

21 comments:

  1. That gave me shivers just now.

    She approved. If not, she would have broken the bank!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good one. Wow. Well, I believe your mom was definitely telling you she was there. Now... what does tossing the hat mean? I'm here OR way to go, he's a great guy!!!

    The only ghost story I have is when I was little I had a sleepover at my best friend Tina's house. Previous to her family, another family lived there but the story goes that the parents were killed in a car accident, then the three kids went to live with their aunt and uncle. One night, as we laid in bed (probably telling ghost stories) we heard hammering in the rafters. The next day her dad climbed up there and sure enough, there was a hammer just sitting up on a wood slab. Hummmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to think that all family spirits are friendly and she was mucking about with HB.. Mum's are wize you know and Im sure she know how lucky he is to love you Janet!!
    peace, Kai xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most mothers are pleased when their children are happy and in a good relationship, so with a jewel like HB I'm sure there is a smile on her face. BE BLESSED :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOooo! Just Love Ghost stories!
    Sandra Evertson

    ReplyDelete
  6. How amazing! I couldn't really tell, because I don't know if his hat was close to the door or not when it landed. That's a bit spooky, though. She was either throwing his hat into the ring or trying to get him out of the house, would my guesses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spooky Janet--what does it mean-well it matters neither here nor there as you are both obviously very happy

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hehe what a fascinating story! I guess you could take it either way, but maybe she was saying "well he's better than the one who bought this burger!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure she approved - she was throwing the hat in the air in celebration that you had finally found a really great man:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great story! Maybe she was saying "hats off to HB!"
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. ....or here's your hat HB, what's your hurry? LOL!
    In spirit where your mother currently is, I am sure they see past all of our human-like judgements against people. I am sure she sees only the light and love within good old HB.
    And she must have sent him to you!
    xo
    Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great family ghost story. Maybe she was just giving him a little test - which he obviously passed with flying colors, since he's still around...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOOH Janet!that is amazing! I think she was giving her approval!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hmmmm, a hat on the floor means someone has to stoop to pick it up and if YOU or HB felt a slight KICK on your behind I would say Mom disapproved but if YOU didn't feel a kick, mom was telling YOU he was a GENTLEMAN for taking his hat off to begin with! Every woman needs a GENTLE MAN!!! *wink, sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect story for this time of year! Wow! I think it is amazing what spirits can do ! ha ha !

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your story...Mama's have away of getting a message across even if we don't always agree...or can figure out what they mean.
    Have a Great Pumpkin Halloween! ME

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is so amazing! I think she approved!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh wow what a great and interesting story, I am sure she was saying she loved hubby.
    kara
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I find things like this very interesting....I love that show Hauntings on cable...

    She must've wanted you to know she is watching over you...Doesn't sound like she disapproved...but just wanted you to know she was keeping an eye on you...and him.

    Your story reminded me---
    I really want to go back to Savannah Ga. and stay in the Marshall House hotel again...it's supposedly haunted by civil war doctors and nurses, patients (it was formerly a hospital). It's beautiful...and when I was there once before on business...I closed my bathroom door before I went to bed...during the night I kept hearing footsteps on the hardwood floor and in the morning, my bathroom door was open, light was on....Talk about creepy but kind of exciting too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved your ghost story...Hubby and I had a similar experience in the house we lived in in Ky.

    We were in the kitchen repairing a ceiling fan and a glass came sliding across a cabinet into the air and landed bottom first on the floor...we just looked at each other and continued on with our work as this kind of thing was the norm in our house...lol...I was never afraid for some reason, startled sometimes but never afraid.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!