Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Am I Wasting My Time??

First of all, thank you to everyone who commented on my Woman of Mystery. I appreciate each and every one of them.

I took several days away from the blog because I've been cleaning....at the moment my house is 99.99% ready for Thanksgiving. I have a few last minute things to take care of and then it will be ready for the big dinner. After that I'm planning to put up our Christmas tree on the following weekend. I figured I'd get an early start since last year I never got in the mood and never decorated at all!

I've been going through some frustration regarding my drawings....or rather paintings. I always feel very comfortable sketching out a picture but when it comes to adding color then I usually screw it up. That's why I have so many pen drawings! I have tried all the different mediums....I have watercolors in both tube and pan, watercolor pencils, acrylics, pastels of all kinds, markers, etc. And I just don't seem to get the results I want. I also have many different kinds of paper and canvas and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I just can't get the look I see in my mind.

Mostly I've come to the conclusion that I dabble....I don't do art. I just sort of hang around the edges and peek in the window but I don't do real art. Oh, I know all the things about "everyone draws and paints in their own way", etc and that's true. So I guess that tells me that I'm just not a very good artist if I can't even put color on something and have it look right!

You can probably tell I'm feeling very low right now. I sketched a cute girl (at least I thought she was) and then I decided to try to color her and messed it up completely! Here is what I did....



Of course this is a scan and the colors aren't very true (her skin isn't really that icky gray color!) but you can see it's a mess! I would appreciate any constructive criticism, any helpful hints, or just tell me to give up and find a new hobby. I am so FRUSTRATED!!!!!