Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas Hoopla

Junie has tagged me to do this Hoopla!!

Here are the golden rules:
1. List 12 random things about yourself that have to do with Christmas.
2. Please refer to it as a ‘hoopla’ and not the dreaded ‘m’-word…
3. You have to tag specific people when you’re done. No “if you’re reading this, consider yourself tagged” stuff is allowed…then nobody ends up actually doing it. The number of people who you tag is really up to you — but the more, the merrier to get this ‘hoopla’ circulating through the blogosphere.
4. Please try and do it as quickly as possible. The Christmas season will be over before we know it! Let’s involve as many people as possible!
5. Please give Andrea some link-love as the “Hoopla-Creator!


Ok, Junie, here is my hoopla about Christmas:

1. Christmas has always been a favorite holiday for me. Not so much because of the gifts but more for the decorations. Years ago I would go insane with decorating!! If it stood still for a few seconds it got decorated. Now, not so much.

2. I love having a big Christmas tree. HB and I now own three artificial trees. One is 6' tall, one is 7.5' tall and our new one this year is 9.5' tall.

3. Many of my ornaments are ones I've had since I was a kid. Also I have a few that my kids made when they were little.

4. "O Holy Night" is my favorite Christmas song. I love the sound of it....the melody, I guess. Another one I like is "We Three Kings"

5. HB and I have bought a special ornament each year since our first Christmas together in 1990.

6. I love wrapping packages. Years ago I was the designated wrapper in our family! Many times I wrapped my own packages....and I never once peeked inside! One year I wrapped packages for almost an entire day because I helped a boyfriend wrap all his gifts and he had a huge family. I like making each one different, with matching ribbons, etc and I like perfect corners and hidden tape. But things have changed a bit and now I wrap them and I'm just happy they have paper on them!!

7. I'm still waiting for that one special gift I wanted as a child! I never did get a piano. One year I was certain that I was getting one. I heard all kinds of scraping sounds and it sounded as if something heavy was being brought into the house....but the next morning there was no piano. I don't even remember what it was I got that year because I was so disappointed.

8. As a kid I loved getting a doll for Christmas. And that's somehow a bit odd because I never was a motherly type! My last doll was a "walking" doll and my mom bought me a small trunk for her clothes and made her a complete wardrobe with everything from nightgown and robe to a coat and hat for going outside.

9. We always open our gifts on Christmas morning. HB and I sometimes open one gift on Christmas Eve but when my kids were small there was none of that! Santa came in the night and left everything under the tree so it was there when we got up in the morning.

10. I love going Christmas caroling but no one does it anymore! At least not like when I was younger. No one ever goes around the neighborhoods, going door to door singing carols. I miss that.

11. My mom and I used to bake dozens and dozens of cookies to give as gifts. I had a double oven stove back then and she would come to my house and we would bake for the entire day....sometimes doing that a couple of times. We stored all the cookies in empty coffee cans and then when we got ready we would assemble plates and boxes of cookies and candy for friends, neighbors, family and my mom's co-workers. I loved doing that. I still love to bake cookies but not that many!!

12. Speaking of cookies, I always bake Molly's favorite cookie every year. The recipe only makes a small batch so I usually make a couple batches at least because she gets one batch just for herself! They're called Mocha Nut Balls and they were one of the cookies my mom and I used to make. Here is the recipe:

1 C soft butter
1/2 C sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp instant coffee (I use more)
1/4 C cocoa powder
1 3/4 C sifted flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 C finely chopped pecans

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light. Add dry ingredients. Mix well, and then add the nuts. Form into 1" balls, place on cookie sheet and bake at 325ยบ for about 15 minutes. Cool and then roll them in powdered sugar. Believe me, these are addictive!

Ok....that's my 12 things about Christmas. Now since the rules are very specific and say I can't just say this is for whoever wants to do it I'll choose Sheila, Groggy Froggy Lisa, Pam, and Beth. Sorry!! I know it's the busy time of the holidays!

15 comments:

  1. I did the meme Janet.
    I was surprised that I didn't even have to think that hard. I loved your answers. I remember you mentioning those mocha nut balls last year.
    I had a doll dressed as a bride one year, but I was not a doll oriented little girl. I preferred to climb trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I was a very dolly oriented little girl. But, then I started liking doing "stuff." I think my favorite present was a B B Gun when I was in the eighth or nineth grade. I had so much fun with that and became a pretty good shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wow! 9.5 feet of tree love! I love it!
    I love old traditional ornaments too.
    Trendy trees are fine, but give me the old family tree anyday.
    xo
    Gillian
    (I was "hoopla-ed" and must do this as per mother's instructions! I'll do it soon. xo)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya know what..I never do this... ever...but I will do it this time! Check back with me! !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janet!!!
    Love your blog..I need to refresh my colors too!
    I hope your son's back is better soon.
    I adore dolls. Funny thing is as a child I never wanted to collect them. I had to play with them not just sit them on a shelf. Now I sit them around here and there...
    Have a wonderful Holiday!
    Be merry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok,my sweet friend, I finished my "hoopla." :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL regarding Number One. I used to be that way too.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teehee, O Holy night and Christmas cookie recipies!!

    Love those Janet, I mean Mrs HB Claus!!

    this is a great post, merry hooplas to everyone,
    Peace, Kai xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a nice good christas elf!!!! I think I am a nice elf too, so cheers to shroom-nog and let's sing.. Oh, holy night.. the stars are brightlllyyyy shhhhiniiiingggggg................

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Janet,
    Sorry it's been so long between visits, but I've been thinking of you. I'm tagged for this one too, and trying to find the time to do it.
    Loved all your answers. Baking cookies with your Mom must have been such fun for both of you.
    Precious memories :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank-you for that recipe! It looks like one worth trying!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been hooplah'd by this too. Oy. I can't think of 12. Bah humbug. Yours is fun to read tho. Thank you for your card! So pretty!! Ho ho ho.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't done the Hoopla yet, I have so many things to do right now...maybe later.
    I might try these this recipe...sounds yumie!
    I am off to the stores to find my last gift...it is for my 17 year old Granddaughter...a little stocking stuffer.
    I think Mrs. Claus fits...you are so dear. Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always love reading your memes - oops, I mean 'hoopla' :)
    9 and a half feet? Wow, I'm not even sure our ceilings are that tall (older house here).
    Those mocha balls sound good - thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed reading about your Christmas, Janet!

    Thanks,


    Junie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!