Followers

Friday, January 25, 2008

Almost Better....

I'm beginning to feel human again! This was the strangest bug I've ever had. I usually don't get sick that often but when I do it's a doozy.

We've been having very cold, rainy weather and that didn't help matters much. HB has made a fire every evening and I huddle under a pile of blankets. Earlier he snapped me and my buddy snoozing on the couch....



Right before I got hit with this bug I had been working on a picture. I like everything about it except the HAIR!!! Why do I have such a horrible time with hair? I wanted her to have dark hair but then how do you have highlights? Then I decided I wanted some loose tendrils flying around but they ended up looking like a cross between Captain Hook and Medusa!! But here she is anyway....



I guess it's back to the drawing board for me and hair! Plus I have to add some shading and other details but it's what I have at the moment.

Because I haven't felt good I haven't visited any blogs in several days and may be pretty slow about getting around to everyone but be patient with me....I'll make it sooner or later! Same with answering emails and such. I am so appreciative of all the messages I've received. Thank you all.

********************************************

On another note, one of the benefits (if you can call it that!) of being sick is plenty of time to read. That's pretty much what I did when I wasn't sleeping. One of the books I read was "Knitting" by Anne Bartlett. I enjoyed this book even though the main character was not very warm and fuzzy. I gave her some slack because she had just lost her husband a few months ago. Mostly I found it to be a bit quirky as are the characters. Maybe it was just my fever induced interest but so far this year I've read four books and this has been my favorite of them.

19 comments:

  1. Hi Janet, I hope you're up and around real soon. Those big bugs really knock you for a loop. Your drawings always make me smile. She's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad your feeling better. I had a touch of it last week-end, not the full blown stuff, just a touch and that was enough for me. You stay in and stay warm until your completely better. Sending healing thoughts your way. And your sleeping buddy looks like he is keeping you warm.
    xoxoxooxoxoxox
    P.S._I thought your mermaid looked great, I can't do hair good either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sorry to hear you've been sick, don't overdo it too quickly, there are some nasty bugs around these days that keep hitting you if you don't give yourself a chance to recover fully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get well real soon Janet and take good care of yourself-I miss your art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished reading Still Life with Elephants which is a different sort of book than I'd normally read and really liked it. Busy week here and have a touch of the same stuff I've been having, I think, but I'm sure that the exercise and the nose spray for allergies is helping a lot! For which I'm happy. I thought the mermaids hair looked fine, but for high lights you might try masking the thin high lights on the white paper and then take it off when done.
    That way the hair can be really dark and you don't have to worry about the highlights. You can use masking fluid or tape. If using masking fluid use the yellow tinted and rub off as quickly as you can or it is a bear to get off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you are up and around soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you get well soon! Sorry to hear you've been so sick. Nothing like a warm blankie and a kitty or puppy to make you feel cozy while you're recovering....

    I always love your drawings...I know what you mean though, hair is hard. The one painting I did recently, I found that dry-brushing a lighter color over the dark gave me some wispy highlights. I'm not as adept at art markers though....not sure...hair is a tough one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you are feeling better! I love that picture. You have sick sofa head, and it's perfect. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet, I hope you are 100% soon.

    If I were you I would smack DH for taking a photo of me sleeping when sick.

    But I love that doggie snuggles with you. I have had the supreme fortune of having a number of snuggling dogs over the years, including two right now. One on my lap and one on my feet to keep them warm in this cold ND winter!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. awwww....poor baby! I hope you are feeling better now ..I like the mermaid hair..kinda like dreadlocks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. GLAD to hear YOU're feeling better! YOU have a sweet little buddy for sure!!! I haven't read but one book so far this year!! I'll have to LOOK in my box I got last year! to seeeeeeee what I have! Sweet mermaid, I LOVE the dolphins in the background! tee hee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep feeling better Janet!
    I want you to join another project that I have linked on my blog...I need to have someone to encourage me to do it, since I have no idea what I'm doing. LOL
    I love your mermaid's hair...I wish I could draw like that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Janet, hope your feeling better. It's awful being sick, isn't it!!!! I came down with an awful cold on Monday and I'm still fighting it. It's stuck in my ears and sinuses.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you're feeling 100% very soon!!! I love how the mermaid is sitting, and I like her hair. The thick bits could be bits of dark seaweed growing amongst the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  16. tinker1:01 AM

    I'm sorry you haven't been well, Janet - I didn't realize you were sick, cause I haven't been around much - I've had a bug since late Tuesday night, myself - thank heavens for zicam - I can tell how much worse it would be if I weren't taking it - because even with taking it, I've been out of it. Today I slept so much though, that I'm awake now that it's night. I think it's finally breaking up now. Hope we both are back on our feet soon.
    Love the mermaid - she looks lovely, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think every once in awhile the body has to have some "down time" Glad you are better. Which kitty is that, Harley or Lulu, can't tell with it all curled up.4 books
    and Jan. isn't even over yer, mmmm
    but you have always been a more avid reader than me. Hair is fine, at least your drawing! BE BLESSED

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ick. I had that bug, too, and got a little reading done. I'm glad you're feeling better.

    I have trouble with hair, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh dear- I misunderstood in the other post and hoped you had escaped being sick. Sorry you felt so miserable.
    I"m putting this book on my list to read. I just "heard" two good ones on CD. (It was the first time I had listened to books this way. It let me do some routine chores while enjoying the novels.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!