Friday, February 08, 2008

Creating in Many Different Ways....

Bet you all thought I'd given up on being creative since I haven't written much about it lately. Do not fear....I'm still going to my studio every day even it's just to sit there and look out the window and daydream. That's creative! I'm creating the thoughts. So the way I look at it, if I'm breathing and my mind is functioning then I'm creating!

I did get some wallpaper books recently and I've been messing with them. For some strange reason I just like to look at them. Texture and color are always things I love....or maybe it goes back to my childhood when my dad used to bring old wallpaper books home for me to use. When he did that I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!! And I guess I'm still the same.

One of the things I like to use wallpaper for is to cover those plain black and white composition books. I always seem to have a slew of them around and I use them to jot down all sorts of things. It's nicer when the book looks pretty so I used part of a napkin and some wallpaper and did this one....



The little "wrinkle" spots are just impressions left by clips I used to hold everything in place while the glue dried. They will disappear in time. Lila, this one reminds me of you....except they aren't indigo!!

I also used a little 4" x 4" scrap of wallpaper to experiment with painting. I did this little one but she needs some more work....



And last I saw on Lee's blog where she did a challenge using gesso and a magazine picture. I decided to try it but after doing it I realized I did it backwards!! The idea was to use a Sharpie to go along the lines of a picture and then to fill in the areas with gesso as in a paint-by-number way. I did the ouline with a Sharpie and then gessoed over the whole thing! Then I had to go back over all my Sharpie lines and this is what I got....



Yes, that's Angelina Jolie. I just liked the pose and decided to use her. Even though I didn't do the challenge "correctly" I'm still happy with it and may use it somehow in another picture....or maybe I'll just embellish Angie and see what I get.

********************************************

Yesterday you may recall I was given this award:



Sorry to post it again but since I didn't award it to anyone yesterday I wanted it to be here for the people today.

In receiving the award you are asked to share three things that you believe make writing good and powerful, then pass the award on to five blogs that exemplify good and powerful writing.

The things that I look for in a writer are do they keep my attention....are they entertaining. Are they "real" as in truthful and honest and do they cause me to make changes in the way I think about things. And are they witty or humorous. So now as promised yesterday I'm awarding the Powerful Words award to the following people in no particular order:

DebR because she is always entertaining, funny, witty, and she makes everyday life so interesting....plus she takes great photographs!!

Kai because she is so peaceful and gentle but her words are powerful. She inspires and enlightens us and makes us better people.

Judie because she has a way with words....she paints pictures with them and makes us all think about things from another perspective.

Suzie-K because she is entertaining, smart, funny, very creative, political, and lets me glimpse another part of the world....plus like DebR she takes great photographs!!

Julie because she is wise and knowledgeable. She teaches me so much in a gentle, easy way.

If you don't already know all these wonderful women then give yourself a treat and visit their blogs. You won't be disappointed!

11 comments:

  1. This is the best blogging award I have ever received. It means so much to me to have my writing abilities recognized.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet! I just love the picture of you!! Congratulations on the award. I love reading your blog.

    Hugs! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet, I love the notebooks and Angelina looks great. I posted something today that you might be interested in.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Janet, for your sweet words and giving spirit.
    PEace, Kai xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to cover the notebooks with wallpaper - looks much more user friendly now!!! Love the painting of the lady and the bird in her hair. Also Angelina is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANK YOU JANET!!! This is a really, really nice, complimentary award and I totally appreciate it! And congrats on yours! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet, I really like the one with the pears. !t is a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i really love the way the gessoed image! i saw this on bridget's blog too and now i want to try it out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank You Janet for sharing these wonderful women with all of us who visit you...
    Artfully Yours,
    Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi Janet - I am finally de lurking to say that your gesso pic inspired me so much after seeing I did one last night. I do like yor blog and get lots of ideas and off course motivation to be creative! cheers krissie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the Award!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!