Saturday, May 10, 2008

Lions and Names and Poetry....Oh, My!!

I was the lucky winner over at Brandy's and got to choose which item I wanted! Wasn't that nice! I chose the lion because they always remind me of a dear friend of mine who has a birthday in August!! The lion arrived yesterday and it is just so cute. And the workmanship and detail are just amazing.



You can see a better photo of the lion over on Brandy's blog....the link is above. But isn't this just the most wonderful gift?? I love it and every time I look at it I'll think not only of my friend but also of Brandy who created it. Thank you, Brandy!!

********************************************

Recently while visiting blogs for ABC Wednesday I read about a Hobbit name generator over on Petunia's blog. I always like these things so decided to try it myself. My Hobbit name is Estella Boffin of Needlehole! I'm not sure but that almost sounds a little off-color!! If you would like to learn your Hobbit name go here....and be sure to let me know what yours is if you do it. I also did HB's name and his is Marroc Foxburr of Loamsdown! So I guess we're Estella and Marroc.

I own this version of the book "The Hobbit"....



but I have to admit that I've never read it!! I love the artwork and know a little about the story but I'm just not into that kind of book. I know many of you are gasping right now!

I'm too much of a straightforward, down-to-earth person, I guess. I don't read science fiction or fantasy or poetry for all the same reasons....I like my reading to be very up front, say-what-you-mean, and be realistic. When I read something I don't want to have to sit there and try to decide what the author is trying to say. Just say it right out in plain old English and I'll be happy. For that very reason most poetry leaves me cold. I know there are many of you who love it but I just can't seem to get into it. I've actually written some poetry many years ago but I haven't written any for years. I'm sure most of it was not all that good anyway!!

I just don't enjoy reading poetry. It's too vague, too "what the hell is he/she saying" for my taste. But please don't hate me 'cause I don't read poetry!! We all can't like the same things or life would be terribly boring!

17 comments:

  1. I love the lion...I checked out Brandy's site and the Hobbit name thing, I'm Poppy Bulge of Hobbiton,
    mmmmm, well I could stand to loose a few pounds. This was fun.
    I remember those poetry writting days, I think I still have mine somewhere, if I didn't give them to Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that lion is terrific! congratulations. :)

    ps - my name is Tigerlily Sandybanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the lion!! You made a great choice and the detail is wonderful. The Lord of the Rings is one of my favorite. I had to find out what my hobbit name would be so here it is: Pearl Boffin of Needlehole. I think we are related!!

    I also had an elf name :Enelya Calafalas.

    I treasure our friendship!
    xx Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Dimple Hardbottle. It also sounds somewhat off color!

    "The Hobbit" was huge when I was in college, but I didn't read it until LOTR was made into movies. I didn't see what all the fuss was about.

    I don't read science fiction or fantasy either. First off, I don't like the names. They're all so elaborate and hard to remember. I also don't like fictional realism ("Like Water for Chocolate").

    We had just a little snow last night. It has already melted away and the wind is drying out the ground. Some parts of ND did get some nice rains yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this either, and probably never will for the same reason as you.
    I do like some poetry, but it has to be in plain speak, or I'm lost.
    I am Ruby Baggins of Bywater, and my DH is Dudo Baggins of Bywater.
    He will be thrilled when I start calling him Dudo..!
    Happy Mother's Day Janet..
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely lion you must be very pleased.

    Guess what we come from the same place, I did my hobbit name and I am Bramblerose Boffin of Needlehole!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings Estella Boffin from your friend Belladonna Overhill
    (more like over the hill) LOL
    Happy Mothers day
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember seeing the lion on her site - it's amazing that she made that in her car - congratulations, lucky you!
    Variety is the spice of life - it certainly would be a boring world, if we all liked and disliked the same things.
    Hope you have a happy Mother's Day, Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops - forgot to sign that comment properly - Happy Mother's Day, Estella, from Dolly Brandybuck of Buckland!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well Janet I did the test and I am---Iris Chubb of Deephollow and Stephen is --Mungo Chubb of Deephollow.
    I think they got the chubb part right or should it be chubby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful lion that is! The work in it is amazing...very, very nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mrs Sweetie4:20 PM

    How wonderful, someone who feels the same way about poetry as I do! You have hit the nail on the head by saying it is the vagueness that is the problem. I used to feel quite guilty and that it really should be something that I had to like so it's refreshing to hear someone thinking along the same lines!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not big into hobbits either, but I'll have to check out the naming thing! The lion is lovely (I'm a Leo and gravitate toward anything feline!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hear you about complicated poetry. I am a poet, and at times I have done some poetry that is difficult to read. Mostly I write it to abridge my wordy self! That's why it's simplified. I really do despise poetry I have to decipher like a code. I love powerful words strung together with a pounding ending! Doesn't always happen though!

    Hugs Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  15. That lion is great, such detail. Hobbit Name: Myrtle Knotwise of Michel Delving.

    I have read the hobbit and the lord of the rings, I really enjoyed them when I read them first time (preferred them to the hobbit) but have tried a couple of times since but can't get into them. Ahh the wonder of book phases

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, that book, my dad read that edition to me and my brother and sis when I was in 5! I still remember the excitement and the magical pictures. I've since read it many times, but different editions without the pictures. What a great, happy memory.

    My hobbit name is Orangeblossom Toadfoot of Frogmorton. How appropriate that it refers to orange.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I forgot to add how happy it makes me that you like the lion. It was really fun to make him and I'm happy he has a nice home. And thank you to all the others who have left such nice comments about him here. You've made my evening very special.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!