Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day....



This is a card my daughter made for me one year. For me, this is the best gift I could get on Mother's Day or any other occasion....something handmade by one of my kids.

Inside it reads....

A mother is someone
Who does thoughtful stuff
And loves you and treats you
Lots more than enough
She's so nice to hug
And cuddle up to
And the love in her heart
Fills it all the way through!

****************************
Today she sent me this poem by Julia Ward Howe calling for an international Mother’s Day celebrating peace and motherhood with the following profound and moving words:

Arise, then, women of this day!
Arise all women who have hearts,
Whether your baptism be that of water or of tears
Say firmly:

“We will not have great questions decided by irrelevant agencies,
Our husbands shall not come to us reeking of carnage,
For caresses and applause.
Our sons shall not be taken from us to unlearn
All that we have been able to teach them of
Charity, mercy and patience.

From the bosom of the devastated earth a voice goes up with
Our own. It says, “Disarm, Disarm!”
The sword of murder is not the balance of justice!
Blood does not wipe out dishonor
Nor violence indicate possession.
As men have often forsaken the plow and the anvil at the summons of war.

Let us then solemnly take counsel with each other as to the means
Whereby the great human family can live in peace,
Each bearing after his own time the sacred impress, not of Caesar,
But of God.

*********************************

Thank you Molly for always being the best daughter in the world....and thanks to "Buck" too even though he doesn't read my blog. I couldn't ask for better kids.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there in Blogland. I hope you have a wonderful day.

20 comments:

  1. Janet:
    May your joys be as bright as the morning!
    Happy MOther's Day! hugs NG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day, dear Janet :)
    Hugs, Suze xXx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:19 PM

    haha..gee..I wonder where I got that inclination to make hand-made cards! Oh that's right..my beautiful talented Mom!!! Nice blog mom..

    Thanks and many blessings on this beautiful day!!!
    ~m

    ReplyDelete
  4. What sweet mementos - and I enjoyed reading the poem - the history of Mother's Day is really interesting to read - Tammy V. had a link to some of the history of it on her blog.
    Wishing you a very happy Mother's Day, Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Janet. What a lovely poem your daughter has written you. hAPPY mOTHER DAY

    ReplyDelete
  6. How very sweet, Janet. What a special post you've shared here. Thank you for that and have a wonderful day!

    Big hugs,

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wonderful things our children made us long ago are truely treasures! And want to say thanks about the sweet comments about my purses. Happy Mother's Day! Hugs***Renea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Mother's Day to a sweetie(((Janet))) too!!!Gina's thinking about coming home after these tornado scares. Today wasn't the first! I hope it's the last but the way the weather is right now, we might all have a share in this wacky weather before the season is over! I HOPE not but I wouldn't be surprised where it hits next!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And a great big hug for the best Mothers Day to you as well

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a VERY cool and inspiring daughter! You did something right, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are blessed to have children! What a true sentiment that poem shares!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy mummies day Janet!!!
    PEace, Kai

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy (belated) Mother's day to you Janet!!! I hope you enjoyed your Sunday.
    I love that you kept your daughter's card all these years. I keep ones my kids make too. Yes, they are the best gifts!!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. How neat is that! No one, anywhere in the world has a child, I'm convinced and says, "Now, how can I possibly do the worst thing in the world and screw you up really good, kid!" Nor do we raise our sons to be cannon fodder. Blessings on the day when we celebrate Mom's all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. winterwood6:54 PM

    I loved the handmade cards my girls used to make for me, and I still mine too. Hope your day was as wonderful as could be.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Janet,

    I came by via Nature Girl's blog and am glad I did. I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely and very sweet card...
    Kids are the best things in the world....

    I hope you had a wonderful Mother's day...

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  18. And isn't it sad that mothers still need to call a halt to all that war stuff?
    But us moms can do anything when need be. I'm so glad your day was warm and full of love.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this poem, it holds a punch. I agree with every word. No war is worth the death of a mothers child,EVER!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!