Thursday, June 05, 2008

Entertaining Myself....

I'm an only child and I've never had any problem entertaining myself. Give me a few hours to myself and I can think of a million things to do. I'm sure that I've spent more of my life being alone than I have being with others. It's just the way I am. So with HB out of town for a couple of days you would think I'd have tons of things to show you since I have all that uninterrupted time to create....wrong!! I did absolutely nothing yesterday! Well, that isn't completely true....I talked on the phone with HB about 15 times (!!!), also talked to Molly, plus a couple of other phone calls, read quite a bit (more about that), but only have a small drawing to show you....



I'm not sure where she came from but there she was on my paper....just peeking out.

I mentioned previously that I've signed up for a class about art journaling....well, so far I've done a big fat zero in the way of my lesson! I keep finding excuses why I can't do it right now. When I have this much resistance to something then I know I should keep trying. Maybe today will be the day I get started on it. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

*******************************************

The book I'm reading is very good....I'm about halfway into it and it just keeps getting more and more interesting. The book is "The Moonlit Cage" by Linda Holeman.



It's the story of a young Muslim girl who lives in Afghanistan around the middle of the 1800's. She is very headstrong and willful, and she questions everything....something frowned upon by her culture. The book has a 5 star rating on Amazon....I got it at the library and I'm enjoying it very much. I like reading about other cultures, and people and places that I know nothing about. Since I'm here alone for a few days I can read at any time of the day or night! Such an indulgence!

I just finished another book a couple of days ago that was good....a little quirky but good. It was "The Last Anniversary" by Liane Moriarty.



So far I've read 20 books this year plus several others that I've read maybe 1/4 of before I decide it isn't for me. And those 20 books don't include any artsy books....it's only books such as novels or biographies.

**********************************************

Ok, I'm off to the studio to entertain myself. I'll either sit and daydream or maybe I'll get lucky and actually do my assignment for my class!! I hope you have a great day....

Hugs,

16 comments:

  1. Hey my hubby is out of town to. To bad we dont live near each other. I have big plans to make art as well. So far been on the computer, no housework done but still have plans. I love that girl peeking out....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an "only" too -- I love hearing about others!

    I'm hoping to do a little bit of art this weekend, but who knows? I really need to kick my muse into gear!

    I'm into bios as well. (Though my summer reading "lightens up!") But I'm behind my reading schedule this year. Amazing what happens when you DON'T have surgeries to recuperate from in terms of your down time! I guess this is a good thing, though. But I should give myself that time regardless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read "The Oblivion Seekers" by Eberhardt?
    She was an amazing woman, who in the 1890's dressed as a man in Algeria and took initiation with a Sufi sect there. This is a collection of her poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Janet you made me laugh...I too am taking an on line art class but I have only done the 1st lesson. And now I am behind 2 lessons & the next one comes out Monday & we are going oot tomorrow! So who knows if I will ever get this done. I thought it would be fun but I feel too pressured! I have too many other art ventures that I would rather work on. Isn't that awful? Oh well....Hugs***Renea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Janet!

    I will have to check out that book. I have read several good books lately about Muslim girls: "Bliss" by O.G. Livanelli and "A Thousand Secret Suns" by Khaled Housseini. Until I joined book club, I was reluctant to read about other cultures. Now I can't believe I was that ignorant.

    I have to say, I am very good company for myself and do not stress out about being alone.

    Sorry I haven't been commenting lately. I haven't been commenting anywhere. Real life intruded, big time. But now I am back and intend to have a fabulous summer, which includes re-connecting with my best blogging friends.

    I am off to see what other posts I missed. I hope you don't mind if I don't comment on them all. I just got too far behind.

    Love, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet, I wasn't a only child but I was 7 years older than my sister and 14 years older than my brother.
    I did alot of babysitting, mostly I was alone in the things that I was doing.
    I like being alone, I am not sure when that happened.
    My new blog is still waiting to be made home...Big Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm an only child too and like you I never have any trouble entertaining myself - I like being on my own. Your homework sounds like one of those things that you have to say to yourself 'just do it'!!d

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you manage to get round yo your class. Keep trying you will get to it in the end.
    Sounds like you have been readin some good stuff I might give that one about afghanistan a go although I am reading about 3 different books at the moment so it will have to wait a while :)
    She certainly is looking at you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ny friend Lizzzie is doing an on-line art journaling class...lots of daily work!
    Thanks for the book recommendation! I love libraries!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can entertain myself for hours too - actually, I get a kind of crabby if I don't get at least a little alone time - and I haven't had much of it this week, grumble, grumble :)

    I like the drawing! Have a great weekend, Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh another one for my ever growing book list. I get totally lost in books. Enjoy your free time!!!Usually I don't cook if Lee's not home (more time to read).

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so right Janet, having time to just *Read* is a luxury indeed. well, uninterupted reading..lol.
    Peace, Kai xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. good morning! I love having the house to myself and encourage the fam to run away from home whenever they feel like it. :)

    love the small drawing.

    have you been working on your lesson? I have to imagine it just takes a little effort on your part to really sink into the task. :) Looking forward to the update.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job on the book reading ! I've got about 21 books read so far too! I've take the A-Z reading challenge which adds to 52 books this year! yikes. good luck on your assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too love alone time...hubby works at home so much that sometimes it's nice to have the house to myself(on that rare occassion!).
    You have read a lot more than I have...thanks for the book recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not an only child, and I am very extroverted but I don't have any trouble being alone and finding lots to entertain myself. It helps that I love to read, I'm sure.

    I'll have to look for The Moonlit Cage, now you've intrigued me.

    Were you able to find Memory and Dream? Wasn't that you? I do have a second copy if you can't find it elsewhere. Would it be worth it to send it to the other side of the globe?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!