Monday, August 11, 2008

Journaling, Drawing, and Printing....all in one!

Since my last post, where I once again went on and on ad nauseam about my frustrations with art journaling, I have turned a corner thanks to the help of Doreen....she sent me the link to Sarah's blog where she is giving step-by-step tutorials on how she creates her art journal. They began back on July 13th so I'm way behind the others but that's ok.

I'm sure many of you already know Sarah but I was completely in the dark! Sunday I think I was on her blog for at least an hour! If she has any kind of tracking set up, she will probably think I'm stalking her! I have gone back to the beginning of her tutorials and am following her directions....just putting my own spin on things so it's me.

And you know me....I'm now working in not one, not two, but three art journals. Each one has a different kind of paper so I'm experimenting to see which one I like best. Plus while something is drying in one journal, I can work on one of the others.

Needless to say, the studio is a mess but that's ok....I'm creating! I'm also almost finished with all the zentangles I'm making for the flickr book thing so that will free up some more time. Last night I started working on another face....just something small to do while the tv was on....



She's my big haired glamour puss!

********************************************

Recently my printer was giving me problems so over the weekend HB bought me a new one. I'm trying to make friends with it since it's so different from my old HP1350. Our new one is a Canon MX850 all-in-one and it's HUGE!! It takes up a lot more space than our old printer so LuLu isn't happy with it. She likes to sleep on the side section of the desk where the printer sits. Now her space is seriously cut down. I'm hoping this printer will be good for some projects I want to print. Does anyone have this printer and if so do you like it? We have two weeks to try it. I want to be sure it will take card stock and fabric and other kinds of paper without jamming or quitting on me....that's what happened with the HP. It used to print on just about anything but then it got cranky and only wanted plain paper!

Also, if you don't have this printer, what printer do you use and are you happy with it? I like to print on card stock so that's a must plus photos, of course, and fabric as I mentioned above. I'm just test-driving this Canon so if it doesn't do what I want I'll be searching for something else. Any input you have is appreciated.

********************************************

You may have noticed I added a little temperature thing to my blog. I guess that was a good thing to do because ever since I added it the temperatures have been down! Why didn't I do this earlier!! I do think the widget is a bit off though according to our thermometer on the back patio but at least the days have been a little cooler....no more triple digits lately!!

18 comments:

  1. 82F? That's not hot! Come see me in Texas - we'll talk about hot.

    Your big-haired girl is great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I will have to get a temperature thingy back...it has been soooo HOT here! I know what you mean about art journaling, so I am going to your link to check it out. Thanks so much.

    Love ya, Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so intrigued by the idea of art journals. But the last thing I need is another project! Maybe when the kids are in school.
    I have a Lexmark printer, which I bought not because it was the cheapest, but because the ink cartridges were the cheapest. The cheapest printer's cartridges were almost double what these are, and the printer was only $20 more. It takes photo paper and card stock quite well, although it objects to having coins and combs down in the works for some reason (things get put on top of it - I need to move it). I haven't tried fabric in it, but I don't expect it would be too happy. Do you stiffen the fabric beforehand?
    My cat Miranda is curled up behind the monitor. It's her favorite spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know, we're going to have to sort something out about sharing the weather! It's not at all summery here for the second year running :( Have to be grateful for the lush green after the rain, I s'pose... ;)
    It's so good to see you got your mojo back, Janet, and to find your lovely comment on my poor neglected blog, bless you :D Hope you'll consider joining in with Nancy's weekly Collage challenges - it's been just the kickstart I needed to start creating again. Thanks so much for your visits.

    Hugs, Suze xXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yey Janet I'm glad you liked Sarah's site and it has got you going again.
    Love the lady with the boofy hairdo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a feeling you're going to get so in to this you may have more than 3 going at once. I say experiment with mediums and textures and use your fingers....I can't wait to see what I know are fabulous pages you'll creating.
    I have an HP All in One printer(C7180) that so far (knock on wood)has printed on plain paper, card stock, fabric etc. My only wish is that the scanner bed was larger....that's what I want a BIG scanner!
    Love the big haired gal!
    XOXOX
    Love and hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet
    I relate to the cranky printer thing!
    Mine now only takes-get this-
    ONE sheet of paper at a time!

    I'll follow your lead Janet, and go get a new one. Let me know if you are happy with the one you bought.
    :)

    I love the big haired diva, she is very Talitha Getty!!!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Janet, seems like you are a very busy girl! Can't wait to see all of your new work. I don't have a great printer but have heard that Cannon is a good one. I would love to have a better printer. Is your a laser? Keep working & have fun. Hugs***Renea

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently found Sarah's blog too. Great tutorials! Please share your pages... I'd love to see all three journals!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is beautiful Janet! I'm WAY behind on my blogging as well. Your not alone there! Thanks for sharing with us!
    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been following Sarah's soul journaling too. But I just can't start another journal. Is 3 all you've got going.

    ReplyDelete
  12. your glamour puss reminds me of a characature I once saw of Carol Channing(boy is that dating myself!!!)
    It's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh i love the little temperature thingy! my fair skin and red hair would not cope with you heat i'm afraid!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhhh! Success! I'm so happy you are making stuff. That's the best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't you just love what you can learn from others in blogland. I feel that it has pushed me into things I would not have thought of.
    I love your Big Haired Glammour Puss! You are so fun Janet,and this art Journal stuff will be just right for your since of humor.
    I hadn't been to Sarah's, it was a really fun...Have a great day, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do not know anything about doing an art journal but the two pages in
    turquoise look a lot like scrapbook
    pages, all that is missing is the photo, I really like them both. My printer is like your old one so I'm no help there. Keep them ideas flowing.......

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did not know you could put fabric thru a printer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to see you doing faces again. Yep, I can see Carol Channing here too.
    How do you find the time to keep up so many journals? I'm having a bit of trouble. Of course, if I quit blogging things would be different but there are so many wonderful ideas and talents to see.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!