Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sorting Things Out in My Head....

After having an email conversation with Lisa, I'm wondering if I'm getting hung up on something that really doesn't matter. I have always loved to find things that go together and then to create little vignettes....or collages. I love to see how colors and images mix and come together. That's what I did with my blue/green pages in the previous post....but is it actually journaling? No, I don't think so....at least not in the way I define it. It's more like creating an artsy page and I'm ok with that. I really don't have a lot to say on those previous pages except for placing the quote on there. And, again, that's ok with me. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think I'm getting hung up on the definition of an art journal and whether or not it has to have my own personal, written thoughts contained in it.

With all that said, I have decided to create what I like and people can call it whatever they want....I'm not going to get bogged down in the small print of things. If I like what I'm doing, then that's all that matters! I am going to continue with the tutorials by Sarah mostly to learn techniques. But I'm not going to follow everyone else's pathway when it may not be my own.

We all create in very different ways....mine just happens to not contain words very often. That's me....I think I talk/write enough as it is and I don't need a bunch of words on my art to make it my own. That doesn't mean I still don't love to see art like that because I do. It just isn't my way of creating.

Whew!! Now that I got that out of the way....here is the page I did using armor. I like this one much better than the other "trial" page....and it actually has my own words on it!




********************************************

Now on to other things. I've been tagged to tell some quirky things about myself but I'll be doing that probably tomorrow. I have to think of some that I haven't already revealed to everyone! I've been blogging for a couple of years so by now I think you all know more about me than some of my family does!

Also I was recently given the Wylde Woman award! Thank you Alberta and Ava!! I love receiving this award because in my younger days I was a bit of a wylde woman! No, I'm not going to tell all my secrets but I wasn't always the little old gray-haired woman I am today!



Now I'm supposed to pass this on so here goes....

Lisa....because her blog is delighful! Full of fun and pretty bright colors and wonderful creative art.

Sharon....I love love love her art!! What more can I say?!!

Zorana....for the same reason as above! I love how she does faces and also has such wonderful little quotes.

Vallen....Very creative, always interesting, lots of colorful art and many times it's set to a song or a poem. Very original and fantastic.

Julie....another very original blog with lots of great information plus beautiful art. Julie is the one who keeps me informed about all the rituals and holidays and such.

That's as many links as I have time to make but please believe me when I say that I wish I could link this award to each and every person who reads my blog because you must all be wylde women to keep coming here! I love you all! Keep creating!!

PS - Ooops....I forgot to link back to Women, Art, Life: Weaving It All Together

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations Janet! It is hard with me as well whenever I have gotten an award in the past to figure out who to pass it to. I have to say though, wonderful choices! Congratulations to everyone!
    I'm always trying to sort things out in my head but the more I try to sort them out, the more mixed up I get. I know I'm weird. LOLOLOL
    Anyway, wonderful work! Thanks for sharing with us!
    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just my opinion but O think if the words speak to you at that moment, then you are journaling. Love Hugs and Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janet - congrats on STILL being a Wylde Woman! and thanks for passing the award along. As for your email - you have linked back by posting the url - so it's all good!. LOVE your armour on your journal page (yeah, it's journaling...everything moves forward and changes...maybe it isn't your Mom's journal....). Greatly enjoyed reading your blog! as I too am a woman of a certain age. =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my what a hunk, Mr. Armor Man! Love your talent! You certainly have a gift! Hugs***Renea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet I am loving this new turn your art is taking...love this journal page too! I think art journaling is more about the art process than anything. Violette started me out art journaling which was private, which was non threatening...then I bloomed to other things. It gave me the courage to try something else. Now that I've gone back, I see that I drew a lot of male faces...they are almost all angry... At the time that meant nothing to me, I didn't even really see what I was doing... Now I get it!! Glad I took the plunge it was a gift to self!! Your journal pages really are special... I hope they turn into cards one day! Or maybe you have a set of tarot cards waiting to be exposed!! The armor...hmmm I think you may! Even what you wrote on the cards would be generically appropriate in a case of creating peacefully...maybe you should explore that....you could incorporate your other style with it too!

    Hugs Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your award! I forgot to say it to you because I posted it on Ava and Alberta's blog!!
    I really enjoyed visiting the blogs you selected and added a few to my google reader! Great Choices!

    hUGS sHERRIE

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I like your knight in armor with the words although I couldn't read all of them. What I think happened is someone made you sort of mad but it brought out the best in you. Not that you should get mad all the time LOL. Gret job here. You should be proud of him. Art does not always have to have words. Your art is your own. It is as unique as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Janet. Wyld woman? Why yea, I was. Stories that have remained untold - good times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I weigh in on the side that this is journaling. It is a visual of where you are today ( jour in French)....I think a lot of our subconscious comes through this way...of course we can write all over and around these journal pages too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you, Janet! I think doing what you like is the best thing. I figure I don't have a whole lot of time left to do that, perhaps and that is what I'm doing. Even if it doesn't turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Janet...I love your suit of armor. I made one too from the soul collage site....armor to protect my heart. Yours is so cool!
    As for your journal...I think you can put anything you want in it and call it whatever you want!!!!
    sending you love
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad your head is sorted! Now you can simply enjoy the wonderful 'whatevers' you make.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that art journaling can be whatever you want it to be. Sometimes, one does not need words to express one's self. Sometimes, colours will not convey one's feelings. And sometimes, you need a little bit of this and that or a lot of everything to get your point across. Personally, I don't often write actual text in my art journal pages. And I don't feel that I have to. Because it's MY journal. And it's MY art. And really, I'm doing it all for myself and no one else so why would I need to write things that don't need to be written down.

    Now, look at me rambling on and on. I'm so happy to see you being creative and colourful and to have made peace with your art journaling!

    *hugs*
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I understand. One time I made a "journal" and I wrote on front "no words allowed" and I lasted about a day. There are words and feelings expressed all in it. I don't know what to call my creative books either....I just do them. They are my practice place, my venting place, proof that I'm nuts for my kids when they find them after I die...so many things. Sorry so long.
    Hey I love that suit of armor. It is very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a lovely award. And I don't think *anyone* thinks of you as a little old gray-haired woman. Just because you have gray hair doesn't make you old at all. It's when you stop thinking, and creating, and doing that you get old.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your journal page and CONGRATULATIONS on your award!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!