Saturday, January 10, 2009

Acknowledging My Creative Self....

I am participating in the book discussion of "12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women." The first chapter was all about acknowledging your creative self....that has been a toughie for me in the past but I think I'm finally able to stand up now and say I'm creative. It's taken awhile and it hasn't been easy but with the help of this extremely encouraging blog community that I'm a part of, I have taken the first step to acknowledging my creative self.

When I first dared to post a drawing on my blog (you can see it here and then another one here)I was not sure what anyone would say but there were only one or two people reading my blog at the time so I figured I was safe! I only showed my drawings once in awhile for the first few months until I got comfortable with sharing them....and found out that no one snickered or asked me what the hell I thought I was doing!

I'm not the world's greatest artist and never try to tell you I am....but I do love to draw and doodle and I think that's the important thing. It makes me happy and it makes me feel good so I'll keep doing it! Being creative is such a part of who I am that I wouldn't know how to separate myself from my creativeness....and I wouldn't want to!

I'm happiest when I can just play around with some paper and a Micron pen. I've recently taken some painting lessons but I just don't seem to have the knack for it. Much as I love it, it doesn't come easy to me. That doesn't mean that I won't challenge myself but it does mean that I can recognize my abilities.

I'm looking forward to where this book will take me and what it will reveal to me about my own creative self. I'm always searching for new things and wanting to learn more about art and the creative process. This book seems to fit the bill right now.

********************************************
Now on to some everyday things. I finished the crocheted hat I was making for my son. It isn't anything unique or beautiful but he likes it. He wanted something warm and snug and something that coveres his ears and the back of his neck (he shaves his head so he gets cold!) And he likes anything with earthy colors or camo. Here's what I did....



He's had it on ever since I finished it! (And now HB wants one, too!) I'm working on a bright orange one that my son can wear when he goes out on the fishing boat. Nothing fancy but it's what he wants.

********************************************

On a personal note, I just received a Christmas card from one of my blog friends and it looked as if it had traveled a loooong way!! I snapped a photo of the envelope as it arrived....



As you can see it was torn open and I'm not sure if anything was missing from it. So Anna (NatureGirl) if you can email me I'd like to thank you. Somehow the email address I have for you isn't working.

Ok, that's all for today. I hope you're all having a wonderful day....fill it up with creativeness!

12 comments:

  1. Great looking hat Janet---what I want to know is HB going to shave his head too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That letter has been through a lot from the looks of it. I hope you hear from her soon.

    I'm always amazed that you don't think you have talent. It's okay if I don't, but not for you. Lol ! Isn't that just typical!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think blogging is ideal for the closet creator! When I think that about thirty people a day read my poems I positively glow!'Real' writers and artists might sniff but I'm happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! I LOVE that hat too! I like browns too! I think those drawings are very COOL YOU did on Jan 1 and 2!!! Keep it UP, the creative side of YOU sweets!((((Janet))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet, So glad you are recognizing your talents. I've noticed that in a lot of female artist. They are modest. You are talented and we love seeing what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your crocheting is art in itself. I've seen pictures of your other work in that field. You are very talented.

    Your drawings are so inspirational that I will just look at your drawings, when I sit with a pencil in my hand and wait for inspiration. Looking at yours will always do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay you!!!! Loved seeing those first tentative posts of your drawings and have always enjoyed seeing whatever you create... please keep it up! Hugs, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  8. YEAH, JANET! I am bursting with happiness hearing that you are CLAIMING your CREATIVITY! my heart smiles for you.

    enjoy the book & the discussion - I have a feeling you might be in for a handful of aha moments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet I've watched your drawings through the last year and I think they are excellent. I'm glad you have joined the book club. You are a creative soul and can definitely stand up and acknowledge it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is cool hat that you made! And like I said before "you are a great Artist!"
    xoxoxooxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy to be sharing in the '12 Secret' journey with you, Janet. You are definitely a creative Goddess who has certainly inspired me along the way. Don't give up on the painting too soon...remember it takes time to learn new crafts.

    Speaking of crafts, I LOVE the hat you made for your son. I quite like the camo look.

    ReplyDelete
  12. fab hat!!! love it

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!