Followers

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Timber!!!!!

Since my son (M) has been here we've been teasing him about how much he misses cutting down trees and working with firewood. As you may recall I took him with me to pick up our load of firewood back in November and a couple of days ago he got to participate just a little bit in some actual tree cutting.

Our next door neighbors have a huge cottonwood tree in the corner of their yard and when we had our freak snow storm a couple of weeks ago, the tree sustained some damage. So the other morning my neighbor decided to lop off a couple of the bigger branches and M got to help. Mostly M just guided him and gave him some advice but when they got ready to cut down one of the limbs, M got to put a rope around it and pull it so it wouldn't fall into our grapevines. Here they are discussing their plan....our neighbor is standing on the wall....



And here's the limb in our yard! You can just get a glimpse of M on the right side pulling the big limb out of the way.



After it was all cut we were left with a lot of tree limbs in the yard but M was thrilled to actually have some work to do!!



Since this picture was taken M has chopped everything into manageable pieces, stacked the bigger ones to "season" and piled all the smaller pieces to use for kindling. He truly loves to mess around with wood!

While all this was going on I was snapping pictures of everything and staying out of the way!

Today I spent a lot of time in the studio....mostly messing up things I tried to do but that's ok....it's all part of playing around. Sometimes I try something and it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm also doing a little bit of crochet....M wants a couple of beanie style hats to wear when it's cold. I happened to have some "camo" yarn and a nice green that he likes so I'll make those up for him and maybe get some bright orange and make one of those, too.

We're having the most beautiful weather lately! Not sure how long it will last but we're enjoying it while we can. That's about all my ramblings for today. I hope you've had a good day too....

11 comments:

  1. Life is about getting to work when don't have to, don't you think? It implies being useful and needed. We all want that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through an entire year of messing everything up I tried. Maybe this year will be more artsy for me! Glad your son is there to help. They love that stuff, don't they.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such blue skies! very different from the different shades of grey we have here right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great that you're having such nice weather. Handy that your son was there to help with the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some days everything you touch turns to gold, and other days it turns into wastebasket food. Such is life. Anyway, you got to play!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool that two needs were met! It's good you can mess up, as you say, and be ok with that. I'm learning (slowly but surely) that lesson, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun he could do as he wanted, you could record it and all were productive! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love the smell of a freshly cut tree, just like freshly cut grass, too. Reminds me of country living.

    I am sure your son enjoyed this tree cutting event.


    You are doing really nicely with your new camera.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just sent an email to Jamie, for the book group.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My neighbor has 2 dead trees just about to fall down, I just hope they don't fall near my bedroom window!!! I'd LOVE to learn to crochet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have hundred plus year old tree's on our place and I just know one of these big winds will bring one down...I just hope it's not the big Daddy tree about 3 foot from our living room. Beautiful pictures!!!!
    I am sure that some of our famous artist have filled a few trash cans. I could fill a trash truck!!!

    I remember 4 years old very well, I was living with my Grandparents and my life was filled with so many adventures because they lived in the country. Like so many kids, my parents were busy growing up. I didn't live with them until I was 7
    years old. Thank you for sharing your memory.
    Big Hugs, ME

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!