Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Oops, I Did It Again!!!

Recently Lee mentioned she had signed up to do a stenciling class. Somehow that one little word....class....always grabs me and won't let go! So I just went over to Mary Ann's blog to take a peek....not to actually join the class or anything like that! (wink, wink) So I took a look, fell in love, and am now signed up to do her stencil class next month!! I can't seem to resist a good online class!

Since then I've been on the hunt for anything I can use as a stencil. I have some stencils and have cut some of my own. But I'm looking for other things I can use. Any suggestions?? I have some crocheted doilies from the dollar store that I think will work, and some old lace, and of course mesh bags. But I'm looking for other things that I can spray paint over and get a nice look.

In the meantime I've been playing in the studio with a couple of things I have. Here is one I did on some canvas paper....



And this one is on a piece of cardboard....



The greenish paint was some I had left on my palette so I just painted it onto the canvas paper and the cardboard. They have been sitting around in the studio just waiting for something to be added to them. Neither one of these pieces is a "work of art" but I like the way they turned out with just a couple of bits of paper and a stencil. I'm excited to see what I can learn in this class!! Meanwhile the layering class continues and I'm still just doing "exercises" but as soon as I do another piece I'll share it here.

And here are the next few pages in my journal....
March 22

I don't like how this one all seems to blend together. The background and the paper look really good together, and I even like the image but when I began writing it just seemed to block out everything else.

March 23


March 24

This one has the writing going around in a weird way. I put the date on the bottom of the page first and then began writing around the edge so there's a bit of a break around the image....but I still like it.

Ok, that's all I have for today! I'm off in search of more stencil stuff and maybe to cut a few more of my own.

15 comments:

  1. I know I say the same thing every time, but WOW is exactly what comes to mind every time I see what you've done! I can't wait to see what you do in the stencil class. Whatever it is, I am sure it will be amazing!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really seem to have a handle on these journal pages...I like the stencil pieces also, they would make a great journal page themselves. I liked the lily one the best and the page about spring.
    Way to go girl....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your journal pages are looking wonderful Janet. What a treat to see them and get inspiration from them. I particularly like the calla lily you painted. I have a few of them in front of my house. I have to move them when the season is over. They are almost totally blocked by a bush.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh, oh. I'm off to check out the stencil class. You are dangerous!

    Hugs--

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the lily pic Janet--
    A great stencil maker is gutter guard-the stuff you put in the gutters of your roof to stop the leaves getting in and blocking the gutters etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Ann will have a slew of ideas for stencils I bet!! That's going to be an awesome class!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh..spray paint through those plastic needlepoint grid things...cheap and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Janet, thank you so much for visiting and your very kind words. Truly our pets DO become part of our extended family and it's so hard to let them go.

    Your journal pages are lovely, I envy you managing to keep up and producing so much art every day!
    Hugs x
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! your journal pages pop - IO love the last one.... and everyone seems in a different style... youve really developed the whole journal thing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aloha Janet,
    You've got such a wonderful eye for colour and coordination. I love your pages :)
    peace, Kai

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okra has to be properly deep fried in egg, milk and corn meal before it's edible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice work as always Janet!! Have fun stenciling...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lace and mesh bags would make great stencils - how about paper doilies and berry baskets? We used those as stencils in art classes. Also, old (or thrifted)kitchen utensils that have negative and positive spaces, like slotted spoons or graters - there's all kinds of things around the house, esp. the kitchen - of course, it has to be stuff you don't mind not using to cook with again, lol.
    Looks like you're having lots of fun with these classes - can't wait to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love March 23rd in your journal! You have really been busy and dedicated to your art! I admire you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, but those two pieces ARE works of art. I can see them as very special note cards myself.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!