Followers

Sunday, April 05, 2009

A Saturday Whirlwind in the Studio!

Yesterday was a whirlwind of activity in the studio! First, I got the next lesson in my layering and texture class and what do you think it was about....using stencils in your artwork!! Well, after watching Gary's video I was definitely hooked and began right then and there! I may bore you to death today because I have lots of stuff to show you!

This was one of the items laying on my worktable in that photo of WIP from yesterday.



I used several small stencils that I had and I like how it turned out.



This was also a WIP and I finished it with a stencil I made....the one I showed yesterday. This also has images from one of the stamps I carved.

Well, from there I just stenciled anything that wasn't moving!! One tip I've learned from Gary's class....he uses the 8"x8" pads of scrapbook paper to paint on! He just uses whatever pattern the paper has and paints right over the top of it....it gives a good base for the paint and sometimes if it has an embossed pattern it shows through a little bit. So I did a couple of pages like that....



This one I started with a blue background, then stenciled over that with red paint, didn't really like how it looked so I used the lace over that with a soft yellow and Voila! I like how that turned out! The lace is from a camisole I bought at the thrift shop for $1.50 and the entire thing is lace so I have lots of this pattern to play with. I don't think this piece is finished yet....it still needs something but I like the stencil effect.



Another 8"x8" paper, this time I used red and orange for the base and stenciled over with the yellow paint. I used one of those plastic canvas circles and another scrap of lace from the camisole. This one needs something else too....maybe a couple of words but I like it, too.

********************************************

The layering and texture class has been a little frustrating for me but I've been trying most of them. This is one Gary calls Dragon Skin or Frog Skin. I hope you can see the texture in this picture....



This is just a texture piece. I don't know what I'll do with it but it was fun. And I did another textured piece, different process, messed it up a couple of times and finally got to this result....



I've taken a million photos of it and I can't get one that shows the true colors! The left side is not as light as it appears in the picture....the colors are much deeper and richer but you can get the idea. This one is the same technique as "Night in the Forest" that I showed earlier but this also has another technique on the left side. I love the results I get from this one but one of the frustrating things is I can't find the exact product Gary uses (he's in Norway) and the alternative takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to dry!! That's why it takes me so long to produce anything in his class. Still, I would highly recommend this class and another one is starting on May 1 if you're interested. You can learn about it here.

Ok, I think I've run out of things to show you although I have lots more that I can't share yet so more to come!!

16 comments:

  1. I can't pick a favorite. I like all of them. It's interesting what you can do with stencils. It must be fun to learn new techniques. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Stencilmania! I like it! Texture, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all pretty. I like the one with the stencil that you made. It looks soft.You are really busy.
    Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everyone of these pieces. You are doing really well, and sound like you are enjoying the classes.
    The colours and textures you have achieved are really lovely.
    Good work Janet..
    hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, my lady, looks like all your hard work in the studio has paid off in... well, I was gonna say "in spades" but I guess it's paid off in stencils! I love that you are so creative that you thought outside the box and used a camisole! Great job on all pieces... the stencils add a new dimension to your already beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously Janet, all of these are my favorite....since you started doing the collage backgrounds....Seems like you've got it down pat now!! Good for you! Really beautiful...love the textured one too...great colors...I'm even imagining it like you said, much darker!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the A. Wanna trade? (thank you for your sweet note.) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janet,

    Oh I love all of these. You are really getting better. Your Art really shows it.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your creativity..the last piece is my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Janet, you are on a roll, all of these are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've been very busy with your art and you're obviously really enjoying it and having fun. Artists block seems to be a thing of thepast now:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so fun to look at and the colors pop! I have a box full of stencils, maybe I should think about trying them again.
    Have a great Monday!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, I love those colours! Seems you are on a creative roll or is that whirl? :) enjoy it !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have been a busy bee...

    I really love your new work, the colors are wonderful.

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  15. I often use the 12"x12" cardstock used in scrapbooking for my canvas work. I glue the piece straight onto a 12"x12" canvas block. It makes a great surface to work on and there are so many pretty designs which act as an initial background layer.

    Your 'Night in the Forest' is exceptional, Janet...I LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These effects are wonderful, especially the stenciled curvy dots! ~ Tammy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!