Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Cinco de Mayo....Oops!

I actually forgot that yesterday was Cinco de Mayo! That's almost impossible to do if you live in Southern California. But I managed to do just that until I read a couple of blogs last afternoon and then the light dawned! I should have done some art with that as a theme but I didn't. I didn't have any Mexican food or any margaritas. I didn't do the Mexican hat dance. I didn't shout Ole!! I was just plain old, head-in-the-sand, American me all day long.

My art piece for the 30 day challenge is done on a scrap of wood HB had given to me quite awhile ago. It had just been lounging around in the studio until suddenly it caught my eye and said "I need some paint....I'm completely naked"....yes, the wood talked to me! I think I'm spending waaaay too much time alone in the studio!!

So I gave the wood some texture and some paint and this is what it looks like now....


clickable to view larger

I named this "Door to the Castle"....it just seemed to be a door of some kind with the "handle" over on the left side (that gold blob) and hinges on the right. I know, I know....I have a weird imagination!

And my art journal page for yesterday is....


She might just be having a bad hair day but I choose to think it's ideas popping out all over! I did this on a page that I wasn't happy with so now the bad page is all covered over. I seem to do that a lot lately. Many of the pages in this art journal were ones I struggled with last year before I took Kelly's class. Taking her art journaling class was a real eye opener for me and got me going with my journal. Thanks, Kelly!!

********************************************
Today it pays to be old! I have a 15% coupon for Joann's....15% off anything including sale items!! But you have to be a senior citizen! These are the times I love being 65! I also have a coupon for Barnes & Noble so look out here I come! It's going to be a fun day!!

6 comments:

  1. I'm happy to say that Mr. Dragon and I had a margarita to celebrate Cinco de Mayo ... unfortunately, it wasn't the greatest 'rita we've had ... should have known 1/2 price ... !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well i had never heard of that day but then i am a Brit lol and an ignorant one obviously lol.
    Anyway onto art ... Love the door .. i see the hinges and handle but i think you should have named it 'hidden castle door' as not everyone is as mad as you or i ? lol. I adore the mad hair work too but i really am in love with the castle door and all the magic it promises inside
    Hugs June xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just heartened to see you doing so much with the art journal class and proud of you for finding a group of media to all work together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet your piece of wood is to die for--I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Janet we did not go out to celebrate either as we had 50 mile an hour wind and rain. It was more a hot cocoa night and I had toget some projects in the mail by Thursday so we curled up and stayed home. Sharon PS Love the door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the texture and I can see the door.. Let us know if you bought any good books. LOL
    Katelen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!