Saturday, May 16, 2009

Havin' a Fun Day....

Oh, my gosh! If you haven't visited Gary Reef's mixed media site, you should try it. There's so much going on over there! (The link is over on the right side of my blog.) He's got all kinds of new groups. There are groups on fairy art, stencil art, art competitions, how to market your art, figurative painters, abstract art, encaustic art....and even photography and poetry. There's something for everyone. And you can learn so much....and it's all free except for the Layering and Texture course that he does.

The thing I like about Gary is that he shares just about everything. He isn't proprietary about his techniques and his art. He promotes other artists and other sites, and he's just plain fun!

Yesterday I was wondering what in the world I was going to do for my daily art challenge piece. I popped over to Gary's site and there in the Loosen Me Up group was a video by Gary showing how he paints to music. He really got into it! He even had a canvas on the ground and painted with his feet! It was great!

I went right over, popped in a CD, grabbed some paint and here's my piece for Day 15....the halfway mark!



HB thought it reminded him of a jungle, someone else said it looked like Asian characters, and I think it's Mardi Gras! I was listening to a group called Big Bad Voodoo Daddy....they do a mixture of swing, big band, salsa, and just about everything else! We saw them in concert a few years ago and fell in love with their music. If you're interested, you can learn more about them and hear some of their music here. I had a fun day in the studio.

And here's my journal page for May 15....


This is one of those pages that came together over a couple of days. Recently I had experimented with some lace with a rather big pattern to it so there was that purple-fuschia background staring at me. Yesterday afternoon I just began grabbing scraps from my paper box and slapping them down just to cover some of that busy pattern. Then I opened my drawer of magazine pictures and grabbed the closet picture. For some crazy reason I kept thinking of that credit card commercial that say's "what's in your wallet" so I just changed it to "what's in your closet" and the rest was easy.

It did make me take a good hard look at my clothes and I realized I don't wear a lot of color. I love color but I don't have a lot in my home either. As the page says, I guess that's why my art is so full of color.

I think I have to go shopping for some new clothes!!! Yuk! My least favorite thing to do.

6 comments:

  1. I'm loving the new piece. Music really is inspirational..!
    Have a great weekend.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey were you painting with your feet to. I had watched that video and thought to myself, feet dont know if I could do that. I love your picture, so free and easy. I am enjoying Garys site as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music is great. Love the journal page and the new *musical* piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are rockin' Janet! Let the creative juices roll!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you are the Janet that is one of my winners! As always, I am in awe that you continue, day after day after day, to produce such beautiful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your 'footy' piece! Have you tried encaustics?? I am sure you would love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!