Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Paper Dolls....

Today I'm a bit late getting here....just no energy for much. And not much to write about except the heat and I know you're tired of hearing about that!!

Here's my page for today....

July 29:


This was another fun page for me. And it sure brought back a lot of memories. As far back as I can remember I always loved paper dolls. My mom and I would go shopping "downtown" every Saturday morning when I was a kid, and if I had been good (wasn't I always!!) she let me pick out something from the dime store....I'm really showing my age now. Do they even have dime stores anymore? Anyway, most of the time I would choose paper dolls. I loved the ones of movie stars. Wish I still had some of those now!

When I got older, my best friend Gail and I would sit by the hour drawing and designing clothes for our paper dolls. We used Frederick's of Hollywood catalogs as inspiration and sometimes we cut out a picture to use as our doll. That was back when Frederick's catalogs were all hand-drawn and the women portrayed were overly voluptuous and sexy! We loved those catalogs! I bought an old one a few years ago on ebay just to keep for sentimental reasons.

Ok, I'm going back to vegging out and staying cool. I hope you have a fun day....

15 comments:

  1. I remember those days! Cool page, Janet! It is hot here too. I a m inside all day and hate to go out for one second! I wait til the sun goes down just like a vampiire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved paper dolls too Janet and this page is fabby and very bright and sunny too ( did i dare say that lol / )
    hugs june x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED paper dolls too! They kept me lots of company! I'd disappear upstairs to my bedroom for hours! I remember one set I had were The Lennon Sisters! LOL Who remembers them??!! One of their names was Janet, the baby of the fam I believe! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paper dolls were a treasure to me, and I still have some vintage ones. Your page was nostalgia at it's best, Janet. Nicely done. Yes, paper dolls was a Saturday shopping spree, too...
    (I mention paperdolls in my post on The old story tree post, "The scent of marigolds")

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also loved paper dolls. I spent hours making them and concocting stories for their lives. I still have a shoe box full of them in my garage. They each had their envelope that they lived in. If I showed them to you, you would for sure laugh. I can't draw now and I couldn't draw then. They are really pretty ugly, but I loved them anyway. Oh, by the way, love your page from today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet, that took me back...We could have been best friends. My favorite paperdoll was Tuesday Weld (now I am showing my age)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not remember having paper dolls. You have a wonderful memorie with your Mom. And you and Gail. I do remember dime stores. Now they are Dollar stores. This is a great page. Just a thought, I love to cut things out, maybe it is my paper doll of this time.
    Big Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. We used to cut out paper dolls from the Sears and Roebuck catalogue!lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun and you succeeded in bringing back some great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to have paper dolls called Betsy McCall. Maybe she had something to do with McCalls patterns I do not know for sure. Or maybe it was she came in a magazine or something, I know she was a big part of my childhood.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved paper dolls and, thankfully, have two little girls in California who love them, too. That gives me an excuse to look for paper dolls to send to them. Love the journal page. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Janet, love this paper doll page. I think Wal Mart has taken down all the dime stores and other stores, for that matter. I hope you get a reprieve from the heat. The weather has done a flip flop...it's been unseasonably cool here...right now it's only 76 degrees and it is nearly noon. It's usually in the 90's or over a 100 this time of year.
    hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. this journal page brought back memories for me too...i never had a barbie doll but i use to love playing with paper dolls as a child!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this page, paper dolls were one of my favourite things too when I was a little girl.Very occasionally they came free with one of the magazines that my mum bought. I spent hours playing with them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Janet - I so love paper dolls. I had a bunch of them from the five and dime (Ben Franklin store in our town, but everyone called it the dime store). I especially remember the Lennon Sisters and Janet Leigh. Boy, does that date me!! Do you remember Betsy McCall from the McCall's magazine? I adored her!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!