Saturday, August 29, 2009

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes....

It's about 1 PM and I just took these photos seconds ago!



You can see how the sun is hidden....this is smoke!



The smoke is from a fire burning near La Canada, CA which is about 25 - 30 miles (as the crow flies) from where we are. We have ash falling in our yard and the sky is eerie. I have a feeling of doom! The sky is a weird golden color but it's very dark. Right now I have to have a lamp on to see what I'm doing! And it's getting darker by the minute. I can only imagine what it must be like closer to the fire. I hope no homes are in danger and no lives are lost.

We switched over to our a/c yesterday to help keep out the smokey smell and it seems to be working pretty good. There's just a light whiff now and then. I haven't been able to concentrate on anything today. This is giving me such a strange feeling.

My journal page is only half done so I'll show that later....maybe tomorrow. For now I have a painting I did yesterday using some of my red rosin paper and black gesso.



I hope wherever you are that you have blue skies....

14 comments:

  1. Praying for you and asking for this to pass quickly and without harm coming to anyone or anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You stay safe. I worry for all of you. After my near miss this summer I know the feeling well. Ours was arson or so they say. Take care. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the lady. Stay safe. I have several blogging buddies who posted about the fires today. My SIL is in the Hollywood Hills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about it being eerie Janet--when we had the terrible bushfires here in Canberra in 2003 it was awful we had black skies and orange as well and the smell--yuk.
    Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definately a very eerie feeling with a fire close by. We had the fires come to within 2km of us last summer and it was frightening. I will keep you in my prayers that you all stay safe.

    On a lighter note, I LOVE your journal page. I have a thing about faces/portraits done in unusual colours. Wonderful...must be a fantastic journal.

    Jacky xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i love that girl, i just love her, the colour, I am going to home depot tommorow for the rosin paper

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your painting too!

    That sky brings scary memories rushing in...saw some redness in the sunset tonight...

    SDG&E plans to cut power in the back country this year during extreme conditions...I hope it works.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Janet, that must be so scary. I think I would have a feeling of doom too. I hope that these wildfires are soon defeated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Janet, Do hope that you are safe and sound over there. Fire is a frightening thing when it gets out of hand. We have had fires in Greece again this year, only a week or two ago. Hope this soon passes.
    I am still reading your blog but have not commented very much lately. Working to hard here so its taking a lot of time just trying to keep up with whats going on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet! Girl I hope you are okay! I love your painting

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that's way worse than we've been getting, and here I was complaining!(I think most of ours is coming from the Hemet/Idyllwild fires, which they're getting contained a little faster, I think). Stay safe! Sending good thoughts your way - and to those firefighters too...
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Janet - praying that everyone is safe and the fire is out soon. How unsettling it must be to be so close. Love the lady and I am going to have to look into that red rosin paper.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous12:20 PM

    Mom.. your painting is incredible! So ethereal.. and her eyes are so full of bliss and wisdom! I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey! :) Thanks for coming by classmate! :) I love Mystele...she is the best!

    By the way...this painting rocks!! :)

    Mere

    Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!