Saturday, August 01, 2009

Stop and Smell the Flowers....

Here it is the weekend and a new month beginning. Another month of art journal pages! Yea!! With that said, I haven't done my page for today as yet but I do have something to show you so my post won't be "naked"....I did this last night. This is another large size sketch book that I had been using as a writing journal. It's about 8" x 11" and maybe about an inch thick. Quite some time ago I began painting some of the pages....just mostly putting down a background color, nothing fancy. On these two pages I had used a soft green and blue and some lavender and I had glued down a flower from a magazine. I liked the color of it....purple!

So when I found this journal again yesterday I flipped open to the page with the flower and I saw a girl's face in my mind. As you all know, I like to draw faces but I don't like to paint them! I've only done a few painted faces and find it challenging to say the least! But I decided to give it a go and here she is....



Most of the lavender got covered over with the girl, and some of the other background isn't what I would do today but it was already there so I just left it. I painted the one page with the girl and put the words on it....and then got the idea to continue the flowers on the other page. I wish I had waited to put the words on so that they could go across both pages but I didn't. Live and learn!

I will post today's journal page either later this afternoon or maybe just wait until tomorrow.

HB and I are off to do some errands and stop by the library. Have some fun today....

14 comments:

  1. Pretty! I can see the lavender peeking through. Love that color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like to paint faces either. It's hard! I've improved a little, though, since I've made myself do it more often. I actually think you did a really impressive job on this face, Janet, and I quite like the composition and that you left so much space on the left hand page; it leaves plenty of room for journaling. Oh, i hung some miniature shelves in my studio the other day to display postcards, ad I put you kitty on the top shelf where it makes me very happy to think of you. I believe that you were the first person ever to send me an art postcard, you sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your face looks great. If I drew it, you'd ask if a pre-schooler did it. I am not good at drawing. Just the other day, not finding what I needed in a doll body, I (foolishly, it turned out) thought I'd just 'draw' what I wanted, cut it out and sew it together. I was going for mermaid and what I got was alien. Ooops. Anyway, love the journal pages. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faces ... my nemesis..... Well done! Library ... I want to know what you bring home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, maybe it's time for me to do a daily page of something not just my journal entries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the lavender on the one and the down right purple of the flowers. Good choices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went to the library this morning. It always makes me feel good to go! I love the girls you draw...and this one that you painted is wonderful, too! The flowers are delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janet,

    She is very lovely....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am just in awe of you and the fact the you not only do a new blog entry each day but also create something beautiful! I love the flowers and I think you did a fabulous job of painting the girl's face. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's an almost too late Lammas/Lughnasadh greeting to you. Of course, it is still only 8 p.m. in California. Hope you are having a cool evening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a great job on the face...I like it a lot!!! I like your journal pages too...the gold one is wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like it your way. :) Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As always, a treat in design and creation on your blog and in your artwork..I LOVE the girl, her features are lovely, as is the 2 pages spread! Me, draw faces, are you kidding???.Well, keep creating and writing, I hope your week is delightfully artsy~!
    Hugs, Margaret...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really liked this one, Janet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!