Friday, September 18, 2009

Lessons Learned....

Last night I re-worked the face on my "pulled" painting. Her head was much too small and she had a terrible face. I made her head bigger and tried to do a better face but her eyes look sad and lopsided. Oh, well, it's a little better....although now the color is washed out on her face. I can't seem to get colors right no matter what I use....the camera or the scanner!



And here she is on the easel....you can get an idea of her size....



I also finished two journals yesterday. I learned a very valuable lesson, too! Be sure to check that your paper is going in the right direction before gluing it down! Thank goodness these are just for me. These are some of the journals I learned to make in Julie's class.



The patterned paper is on upside down on the front cover! The back cover is good....naturally! Why couldn't it have been the other way around? Oh, well, lesson learned. I didn't have any of the special paper that Julie recommended so I just used what I had. I'm pleased with how they turned out and will begin using them as my art journals.

********************************************
Imagine my surprise when I went to my google reader late last night and found this!



My little blog being recommended along with Michelle Ward's! GASP! I thought I might be hallucinating so I quick, grabbed the camera, and got a couple of shots to show HB....he was already in bed. I don't know Purple Missus so I'm going to check it out today. I was getting ready to shut down the computer last night when I made my discovery.

Today I have errands to run and it's supposed to be another hot one so I'm trying to get an early start. I just wish more stores were open at the crack of dawn!!

17 comments:

  1. Well, I don't know you are so surprised ... you should be recommended! I finally ordered all my book making supplies. Better late than never!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would rank you right up there with MW. I think your just as good, thank you very much! Love the painting and your eyes look alot better than mine. I am not good at eyes.
    We are still in the tropics here with almost 6 inches of rain the past couple of days and more to come. And 100% humidity.
    STay cool and have a great week-end.
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pulled looks GREAT, Janet...so do the books :) She's a great sized painting too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used that yellow paper on your journal before. It has a nice feel!

    Congratulations on your google listing! That's very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, so much to comment on. The large painting looks darn good to me. The "upside down" paper on the journal looks like a design that could be used in any direction. That is beautiful paper, love those colors. And your blog most certainly should be recommended. Still hot and humid in TX. although it rained for the 3days I was in Dallas, and I loved it. I think the highest temp. was mid 80s. That I can deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the girl with the new face and the highlights in the hair. What do the inside pages of the journals look like, I mean what type of paper is it? I am not a bit surprised about the recommendation, I have been looking at a lot of art lately and I'de say you are up there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on you Janet.
    Purple Missus is Lynda Monk from the UK and she is amazing.
    She does fantastic mixed Media work and has just published a book with Carol McFee.
    She is a member of the Calendar Girls group that I am in.
    You're up there with the best my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your girl has turned out wonderful..The colors are so bright and cheery..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds very fitting to me....you have an awesome blog, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooooops, I meant to comment on your painting....she is coming along beautifully, Janet! I like the changes you made ~

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought you meant her to look reflective until Iread your comments! She seems to be escaping from all that colour and confusion around her...

    I would have taken a photo too - congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great painting. I like her face. i can't tell that the paper is upside down, even after looking at it. Your journals are really great. I'm not a bit surprised that you're ranked up there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations - what a wonderful surprise - but of course you should be up there! The painting looks great and so do the journals. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love seeing all the art and books which you post!
    You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. your blog is amazing as you are and your art.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel like I have been away forever...I went back to see all I had missed...it was a treat!!!!
    Happy Birthday September girl, and so many more to come.
    Your painting is amazing, and congrats on making the list. Those of us who follow you and think you are very special think this is so deserved. Stay Cool, Love Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LIKE those lopsided eyes. Congrats on the recommendation. Excellent company you are keeping. And, I would have never known the paper was applied upside down. Like that journal cover very much. xx oo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!