Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Books and Me....

I haven't done a meme for quite some time and I saw this one at Serena's blog. Since I have NO art to show you today and since it's been awhile since I posted anything I thought I'd fill in with this. Besides it's all about BOOKS!!! And you know I love books!



Do you snack while you read?
Not usually because I don't like to get yucky stuff on the pages!

Do you tend to mark your books as you read them, or does the idea of writing on your books horrify you?
I DO NOT mark in my books!!! Having been a used book seller I can tell you it's horrifying to find a wonderful book only to open it to markings throughout. Bummer!

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog ears? Leaving the book open flat?
I use bookmarks or any piece of paper that's close by. Dog ears go right along with marking in the book as far as I'm concerned. I'm a stickler when it comes to my books. I like them to be clean and neat and like new!

Fiction, Non-Fiction or both?
I like both. A good biography or autobiography, any kind of interesting non-fiction, good novels....I like them all. And of course, I love books about art.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of chapters, or are you able to put a book down at any point?
I can put it down at any point which is good because I usually read right before I fall asleep. Many times I just can't go 'til the end of the chapter.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop to look it up right away?
No, I can usually figure out the meaning by how it's being used in the sentence. I do hate it when books use a lot of foreign language but don't give any explanation as to what they're saying.

What are you currently reading?
"My Life in France" by Julia Child; "Sashenka" by Simon Montefiore (not liking it too much); "Soul Coaching" by Denise Linn

What is the last book you bought?
I think it was "Collage Journeys" by Jane Davies or maybe some other artsy book since I get most of my reading material from the library.

Are you the type of person who can only read one book at a time or can you read more than one at a time?
No. I usually have at least a couple of books going at one time and maybe more. I like reading non-fiction along with some fiction.

Do you prefer series or stand alone books?
Either one. I don't like to read a book that I thought was a stand alone only to find out it's part of a series and the one I just read is in the middle. I like big, epic novels and usually hate it when the story ends.

Is there a specific book or author that you find yourself recommending over and over?
No. I don't do recommendations. I think reading is a personal preference and my taste may not be yours. Better to discover what you like on your own.

How do you organize your books?
If it's non-fiction, by subject. Fiction, alphabetically by author. But then again I have been known to put books on a self using size or color as the deciding factor. I guess it all depends on how I'm feeling at the time.

Now if you want to do this meme feel free to take it. I hope this was just a tiny bit interesting and I promise to have some art tomorrow. I'm working on some journals today (Maureen, yours is one of them!!!) See you then....have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. Loved this meme, you do love your books. It was fun to know how you treat your books. We use book marks here also. I have bought older books that were marked in at yard sales, not good.
    Since childrens books have gone to the moon in price. I always look at books for the kids at yard sales. I have found books that have never been read for them.
    It is cold here, but the sky is so blue, so I am off to do some shopping.
    Thinking of you, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great meme and we share books and feelings about them. I may have to do this meme ... eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fascinating insight, Janet - chiefly because I agree with you on several issues. I don't understand anyone who who will dog-ear or write in a book, particularly a library book. So selfish and thoughtless.
    I also get aggravated by books in a series if they don't make it clear on the DJ. Unfortunately so many books in the genre I enjoy are in a series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you participated in the book meme, Janet, and I enjoyed reading about your book traits which are very similar to my own. I like books kept in good condition too and the only ones I will highlight or write in are the ones I'm keeping forever as I read them over and over. They're usually the ones that are self-help so the highlighting helps me to find a particular paragraph much easier. I must admit I've only just started doing that recently and I'm still not totally at ease with it....I guess it's the perfectionist in me. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I will do this one over on Chopsticks and String, my books-and-more blog! It's fun to learn about your prefs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading about your reading habits! I'm afraid the book dealer side of you would not like me. I eat when I read, and there is also dog slobber on my pages. I also turn down the pages. Sorry!

    At least I don't mark up books.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!