Wednesday, October 07, 2009

A Woman From the Past....

I've just been playing in the studio this morning....working on things for Mystele's class. We had some inspiration and it took me down a path of family history. I know that my great-grandfather on my dad's side of the family was a sheep herder in Yorkshire England. So many times when I read books about that area, mostly about life in the 1800's and early 1900's, I seem to relate to the people who worked in the big factories....the ones making fabric using those huge mechanical looms. Maybe someone in my family worked in one of those factories....who knows!

Anyway the inspiration immediately brought me to that time and place. I pulled out my Gut Art book and randomly opened it to a page and I saw an overworked, underpaid, tired, bedraggled woman's face appear to me....



And here she is after I painted her....



I think I'll go back and soften the blue around her face. It's a little too bold for me after I see it in the photo. And I also messed up the word "rhythm" when I wrote it....but I guess that's part of the process!

I hope you're having a creative day.

NOTE: I edited this to include the re-do I did on this painting. I wasn't happy with it before....now it's a little better.

6 comments:

  1. Well done and good story to go with her. I can tell you are having a wonderful time in this class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Boy! This is just what i was waiting to see! I love it..I can see your art blossoming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Janet,

    My great-grandfather on my mother's side was a sheep herder, or shepherd, too. He was called Willie Go Slow because of his asthma.

    My grandpa's brother was supposed to be a shepherd too, but he literally abandoned his sheep and ran away from home on a boat to Canada. No one ever heard from him again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really intuitive painting.
    Love it!You continue to inspire.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out great.. You keep on going...Your art is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the final version. Her eyes are great. She does speak of a harsh time.
    *hugs*
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!