Friday, November 13, 2009

Thinking About Thanksgiving....

Several days ago I saw a fun meme over on Snap's blog. It was all about Thanksgiving so I thought I'd do it here since I don't have any art I can show you! You see, I'm working on my Christmas cards so I won't be sharing those here because many of you will be receiving them....if I have your address.

So here is the meme:



1. Which do you like better: Cooking at your house, or going elsewhere?

Even when we have Thanksgiving at home I don't do much of the cooking (and I like that!)....HB loves doing Thanksgiving dinner so he's the cook.

2. Do you buy a fresh or frozen bird?
We try to get fresh turkeys but sometimes we're too late.

3. What kind of stuffing?
HB always does stuffing in the bird (yuck!) and I make a separate pan for myself and anyone else who wants it.

4. Sweet potato or pumpkin pie?
We usually have pumpkin pie among others. You can never have too many desserts!!

5. Do you believe that turkey leftovers are a curse, or the point of the whole thing?
I love having leftovers. Isn't that the whole point of cooking a huge dinner?

6. Which side dish would provoke a riot if you left it off the menu?
If my daughter was going to be here I'd say the raspberry jello with cranberries and pineapple....she LOVES it! And so do I. You can see my recipe here.

7. Do you save the carcass to make soup or stock?
Sometimes but not always.

8. What do you wish you had that would make preparing Thanksgiving dinner easier?
A full-time, live-in cook! Oh, wait....I have that already!

9. Do you get up at the crack of dawn to have dinner ready in the early afternoon, or do you eat at your normal dinner hour?
We eat late afternoon/early evening.

10. If you go to somebody else's house, what's your favorite dish to bring?
I haven't done that in a long time so I wouldn't know what to bring! Maybe the aforementioned cranberry jello dish.

11. What do you wish one of your guests wouldn't bring to your house?
I've never had a guest bring something that was not welcomed.

12. Does your usual mix of guests result in drama, or is it a group you're happy to see?
We have a great group! No drama....just lots of laughter and good times.

13. What's your absolute favorite thing on the menu?
Sweet potatoes or (I hate to be so repetitive) my cranberry jello dish.

14. What are you thankful for this year?
My good fortune, my family, all my friends, and my kitties! I have a great life and much to be thankful for right now.

If you would like to do this meme feel free to take it. Let me know if you do it so I can come read your answers!

22 comments:

  1. Great meme. Geez, thanks for reminding me. I've got to start thinking about Christmas cards, and about knitting slipper socks for my son. The time is already flying by. I'm not in the mood to do Christmas cards this year but since I've done them for 36 years already, I think some people would wonder if I didn't make some. Hmmm, what to do, what to do....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was fun. I've got a new fudge pie recipe that I can't wait to try. Problem is, not many desert eaters in my crowd so I have to eat it all. And do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the meme! You can see it here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful meme, Janet! A pity Australia doesn't do Thanksgiving or I would have taken part. I've noted down your cranberry/raspberry jello dessert, thanks. Your answer to #8 made me laugh....I sure wish I had a live-in cook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fun meme, isn't it?!!!! Thanks for the recipe! I love jello.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun post, I am taking down the jello recipe for sure. I am going to take the meme and will post it on my blog tomorrow (Saturday)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet, I guess I lied (oops) I can't copy it all and don't ahve time to hand write all the questions down - maybe I will try again next week when I have more time, If I do I'll let you know

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great meme. I learn more about you from reading you memes.....Your doing your christmas cards, god your organized. I need to get to mine, usually done at the last minute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sister makes a sort of similar (I've never gotten her recipe but it sounds pretty similar) Jello dish for holidays and I always love it. Fun meme!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun one Janet!!! Thanks for that recipe too, will have to make it for sure..especially after all your raves..LOL
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the jello with cranberries and pineapple recipe..
    I had this years ago and loved it …

    We are going to my daughter’s house this year for Thanksgiving
    which is good because I don’t like to cook…

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed reading this. I try to make the best of holidays since we don't have big dinners any more. My husband and I have our nice tradition of doing when we like!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am going to make your cranberry/raspberry dessert. It will be fun to make something new and it came from you. I love your meme, I am working on cards for Christmas. We are gong to Cory's for Thanksgiving. I am so glad!
    Love, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. My cranberry relish. Made with fresh cranberries, walnuts, oranges, sugar and raspberry jello.
    Will check out your recipe too.
    Bet it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I copied your meme. Your jello dish reminds me of a similar dish that my sister-in-law used to make...cherry jello with oranges, pineapple, ground cranberries and pecans...it was delish! I'm being a "scrooge" and not sending out Christmas cards this year...I'll cheat and send out some e-cards...
    Cheers,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was fun. The turkey looks so delish. You don't eat meat though, right? That's ok, I'll eat your portion for you. That's what friends are for.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful MeMe,,I may try to do it today if I have time. I will let you know if I do. Your Cranberrie jello sounds delish! My Mom makes something similiar and the kids love it. So do I!
    Have a wonderful Monday, Janet!
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Janet~!! Thanks for the visit at the blog~!! I am back at bloggin' and steamin' down the track! I also am gettin' in that craftin' mood...lol...Loved the Meme...Will post it upon my blog..
    The wordpress one tomorrow....
    http://margarethall.wordpress.com/
    Love's ya~!! Happy Turkey~!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Christmas cards? Goodness, you must be organized! ;)

    Thank you, I will borrow the meme as I have nothing else worth blogging about.

    Hope you have a good Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't cook Thanksgiving dinner either Janet. But I'm always happy to contribute to the menu.
    I don't have a live in cook, but I'm working on it. PH likes to cook and the last few months does so quite often. His repertoire is limited so I bought him 3 new cook books.As I said I'm always happy to contribute to the menu.
    love and hugs
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was a fun meme to read. I wish I'd known about before Thanksgiving. I wrote a couple of posts this year about Thanksgiving traditions and memorable Thanksgivings.

    Dan cooked the entire meal yesterday, except for the gravy. That's one thing he can't do.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!